Clutch for 600+whp

8T7supra

Jan 6, 2007
New York
well I will be making between 600-700whp so I am guessing I will be making between 550-650wtq but their will be 10-15% more at the crank. also most companies i have looked at rate their clutch in horsepower but I know ultimately the torque is the number that matter for a clutch.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
When looking for mine, i called around and the tech guy was surprised that i knew the tq number i wanted to hold. Ultimately, my goal on e85 was to high but im still looking to hold 650wtq for a single to hold. The problem with a big single is the pressure placed on the thrust washers and causing crank walk. I ended up with an exedy triple and worked with the pedal ratio so it drives like stock and not an on/off switch.

Another reason for the triple, ive read/heard that twins dont like launch control much and triples dont mind at all.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
OS Giken makes a triple and a quad plate for the JZA70. You would need to sort out the flywheel with those clutches as they come with 1JZ flywheels but I'm sure you can make it work.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
8T7supra;1918658 said:
also most companies i have looked at rate their clutch in horsepower but I know ultimately the torque is the number that matter for a clutch.
I'd shop with a different company myself. ;)

nathaninwa;1918661 said:
Another reason for the triple, ive read/heard that twins dont like launch control much and triples dont mind at all.
Just curious, did anyone have anything backing that up? The function of a clutch doesn't change due to the number of discs... I can see perhaps that they're shocking a system only rated for xxx TQ levels, and maybe they had bad experiences with the twin discs they tried, but I can't see the number of discs having an adverse effect if they're properly matched to the engine output. :)

To the OP, I believe Tilton makes a nice multi disc setup for the 7m, but it's pricey. Might also try South Bend, or Spec. I seem to recall one of them (possibly both) making some pretty serious clutches for our cars.

8T7supra

Jan 6, 2007
New York
ya I think I am going to go with the Cltchmasters FX850 its rated for 700ft-lbs for the street version and 850ft-lbs for the race version.