clutch feels too soft

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I park my car over the winter because I dont drive it in the snow or rain. I have now started driving it again and I noticed I was losing brake fluid and the reservoir got real low. I fixed the leak and bled the breaks. Breaks are fine now. I also noticed my clutch pedal now feels real soft/easy to press. I am wondering if the fluid in the break fluid resevoir getting low would affect the clutch at all. The car still runs and shifts fine. I am not losing any fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir. I bled the clutch hydrolic system and couldnt get much fluid out. I am guessing the slave cylinder could be bad. I was told though if the slave cylinder is bad when you press/ depress the clutch the fluid level will change. The fluid did not move when I tried this.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
soft? maybe you're just not used to it. If the master or slave is bad it will have a bleed effect like a brake master and lose its pressure the longer you hold your clutch pedal, or just not work at all. If it shifts fine and releases the clutch fine i wouldn't worry.

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
And just to clear things up the Clutch and Braking system are completely separate. Some manufacturers use a reservoir for both clutch and brake, but in our case we have 2. So your answer to "if the fluid in the break fluid resevoir getting low would affect the clutch at all" would be NO.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
That's right, the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs aren't shared.

You say you lost fluid for the brakes, which you should check for slow leaks or find out how it got low.

How about the clutch fluid, did it go down over the winter? If you feel that it's soft bleed the clutch lines and cylinders and see if it makes a difference, if it does then you had air in the lines. If not then it may just be you.

How high does the clutch pedal come up before the clutch engages by the way?

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
The clutch fluid never moved over the winter and I tried bleeding the systems about 10 times and didnt get any air out. My daily driver is an 01 Accord and the clutch in that feels heavier than in my supra. There is a stage 1 clutch in my supra that was there when I bought it several years ago. Maybe it is just me after not driving it for a while.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
when i started driving my supra again it felt weird. i was driving a 5speed altima for a while. every time i would switch between the 2 i would have to relearn where the clutch would engage. your probably in that same boat

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah my DD has a harder pedal than my supra.
Even with a SPEC stage 2 clutch, it is much much easier to push than the OEM in my DD.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Yea the fluid is fine. Ill take it for a drive and if its fine I wont worry about it. Ill keep a slave/master cylinder in mind for the near future. Pretty sure they are from 1989 and wouldnt hurt to replace them. Driftmotion has them both for under a $100