clutch entirely or just pressure plate?

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
ive done a search but nothin so here goes... driving from sf and the clutch completely gives out on me... no acceleration on the middle of the damn freeway lol. i smell the clutch burning so that kinda signals that theres still somethin left so im guessin the pressure plate might be f**ked. plus does anyone know how much toyota would charge to put in a new one... i is lazy lol. sorry if i piss anyone off with the question:biglaugh:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
it will cost you ruffly $800 to have toyota do it plus the $300 for the clutch....

always replace everything in this kind of situation...sometimes someone breaks a bran new clutch with low miles and so they can get away with just replacing the pp or the disk....in this case if you smell clutch burning then you got shit very hot which means pp is toast and the fw needs resurfaced.

i advise you to change the clutch yourself and learn your way around the car cause supras break...they break alot considering there age....if you take it to someone every time then its gonna bankrupt you!

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
i know all too well about them breaking. its my project so i dont need it right away i have a dd. i was just searching up clutches and pressure plates because i know better than to even try to skimp on the car. only problem with trying to do it myself is that there is no shop i can work in where it is and the tow cost $234 as it is.:aigo: so toyota may end up gettin me this time but it'll be the only time lol.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Look up smaller shops in that area. There gonna be cheaper than the stealer ship. And I'd replace the clutch kit the way it comes, you may think you have somethin left but I doubt it.

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
yeah im gonna get the whole clutch kit as soon as i can which is most likely when i have a day off from work. i'll look up any small shops around the area also. thanks guys.

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
ok... so im gonna get a clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing from toyota for ~$230. toyota would charge $980 bucks to do it and an independent shop i called will do it for $400... toyota is :bsflag: :icon_bigg