Clutch Disc Slippage Caused by Heat?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I was passing another car on the street to get the lane I needed. The other driver sped up so I nailed the throttle and the engine over came the clutch... the engine went straight to the rev limiter. :( The clutch kit is a Fadanza FW, stock Supra clutch disc and Action 2800 PP. The OAT was 98 degrees, traveling about 30 MPH in second gear on level ground, and rubber is BFGs 255x17. I had been driving for 30 minutes, plenty of time to heat up the rubber, before I nailed the throttle. I got under the car to look for oil seeping out from somewhere; bone dry!
On another day that was ten degrees cooler, I tried the same process, but this time no clutch slip. :)
What was causing this, I don't know... :dunno: I suspect it is heat related, as this is a one year old clutch and throughout the track day in June, the only problem was cooling, not drive train related. During that day the OAT was in the 70s.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
OAT isn't going to effect it, it's going to be how much you were slipping the clutch and building heat into it. Either that or an issue with the hydraulic system.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Poodles;1955089 said:
OAT isn't going to effect it, it's going to be how much you were slipping the clutch and building heat into it. Either that or an issue with the hydraulic system.
Thanks Poodles. The engine is making 335 WTq now and during the Track Day it wasn't yet making that much, 298WTq. The Action PP is rated at 425ftLbs w/a stock Supra disc. From what U wrote, I'll need to take the car in for a check up of the hydraulics.