Clutch disc melted to flywheel??? Southbend/R154

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
Anybody ever melted their clutch onto their flywheel? What are the symptoms? R154 trans/Southbend clutch.

I launched my car only once tonight. When I went to hit second gear, I stepped on the clutch and it didn't release it out of first gear. It was stuck in first gear, but I can shift the gears without using the clutch as if it were a semi.

When the engine is running, I can't get the car into any gear, but it feels fine whenever the engine is off.

Took the inspection plate off and slave cylinder still moves, I see it pulling the throw out bearing back and forth, but I don't see the clutch disc actually lifting off of the flywheel.

Pedal pressure feels normal, throwout bearing and slave are both brand new and in good working condition.

I can be driving like 5mph, and when i step on the clutch, It doesnt do anything, it still runs like normal as if the clutch isnt being released.

Any insight is appreciated, I just hate to be pulling the tranny, just got the car running and it has less than 1500 miles on this setup.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I had a south bend clutch weld out on me. Full faced kevlar and heavy PP. They don't like to slipped and build up to much heat on the launch. I was able to unstick mine by climbing a steep hill in first gear, clurch pressed in and working the throttle from idle to wot. On about the 5the stab of the gas it broke free and drove after that.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
did you get this unstuck? mine was a on a stock flywheel too (not a toyota setup tho). i was told by 2 other clutch makers its the material choice that southbend uses. i glued my full faced kevlar disc. you just built up to much heat by slipping it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've seen all kinds of single disc clutches do this. I've seen lots of methods for un-sticking them, most common seems to be waiting until it's nice and cool, then starting the car in gear with the clutch in.

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
I couldn't get it unstuck. It's still stuck on there. I might just try to pry it off through the inspection plate. Any body else have any ideas? I tried starting it in gear, but it didn't do the trick.

My question is, is my clutch disc/flywheel toast now? Or can I still run it?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends on the damage. You can remove the bolts from the PP to flywheel and slide the PP back to expose the disk and get in there and pry it off. If it's really on there, pieces are going to be stuck to the flywheel and you'll probably have to replace parts...

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I did this with my ACT 6-puck on stock flywheel. I couldn't get it unstuck either and ended up pulling the transmission and replacing the whole clutch. Went to a twin disc setup to avoid this happening again.

Prying the disc off will result in damage to the disc. I wouldn't recommend doing that to something that spins at 7000-ish RPM