Clutch damage

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Pulled my clutch today while doing a trans swap and found some weird damage. It looks like my clutch was grabbing with the springs instead of the surface material. Does anyone know what could cause this? This is a "stage 3" clutch from DM so I doubt it's low quality. Improper install? You can see where the springs were slammed into the clutch plate and bent it, their all warped and deformed. Anyone ever see anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 53

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Usually the car is not drivable, with the disc in backwards.

Just looks beat on, to me.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
mkiiichip;1598160 said:
Usually the car is not drivable, with the disc in backwards.

Just looks beat on, to me.
See I swore it wouldn't work backwards either.
But the clutch has MAYBE 3000 miles on it, 90% of the time I baby my car. I've launched it prolly twice, and havnt done much other than single gear pulls, I don't think I could've done that much damage unless something wasn't on right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
What clutch is this, and what kind of power are you putting down, what is the condition of the rest of your clutch components.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Guyana00;1598645 said:
What clutch is this, and what kind of power are you putting down, what is the condition of the rest of your clutch components.

It's the stage 3 from DM. The pp has some burn spots on it but it looks alot better than the clutch. Flywheel looks good too. Car made 246hp 260tq.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
When you set the disc in the pp, is there interference (with the release hub installed)?

Were the disc and pp bought as a kit, or pieced together?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I once put a cltuch in back words, not good. Check your flywheel bolts to see if there is any scaring? I did this no a 1jz once, I thought wrong, pulled it back out, flipped it and i was fine.