clocking a ct-26

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Upon re-installing my ct26 onto my engine following the installation of an oil bypass system (among other things) it seems that the turbo outlet associated piping interferes with the two -8 elbows running off the relocation fitting. Is it feasible to clock (rotate) the compressor housing of the turbo to gain clearance without messing anything up within the turbo?

Adam

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
adampecush;1156320 said:
Upon re-installing my ct26 onto my engine following the installation of an oil bypass system (among other things) it seems that the turbo outlet associated piping interferes with the two -8 elbows running off the relocation fitting. Is it feasible to clock (rotate) the compressor housing of the turbo to gain clearance without messing anything up within the turbo?

Adam

I don't think Toyota had clocking in mind when the CT26 was devolped. Most turbos I see in my line of work have a large snap ring that you loosen to turn the housing. So that it can be used in many machines. Ours was not for that use. Although I don't know if anything bad would happen to you loosening it and turning it. I can't see why it would be a problem.

An easy choice is different fittings. My intercooler hose was also in the way. Switch to a different adapter or fittings.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
there is a snap ring which holds the compressor housing in place, but the retaining plate is notched into place. I suppose I could make a new notch, but it may be easier just going to a 1/2NPT to -08 hose fitting.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
If you remove the snap ring, you will see a metal "dowel" on the compressor housing the keeps it from rotating around on the center cartridge. I think it is possible to remove this dowel and rotate the front housing.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
if you really wanted to you can remove the pin and clock the turbo without any problems. Mine is removed and my turbo is clocked about 10° from stock so my custom piping will fit without getting melted from the exaust manifold. Otherwise my coupler would be right up against the manifold.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
trydrew;1159037 said:
If you remove the snap ring, you will see a metal "dowel" on the compressor housing the keeps it from rotating around on the center cartridge. I think it is possible to remove this dowel and rotate the front housing.

Yeah, the pin comes right out.

I had to do that when I installed a Supra CT26 onto a 3S-GTE.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Just wanted to update this thread....

clocked my turbo yesterday, and I don't think it could have been easier. I didn't remove the pin, I just ground a new notch for it. One thing to note, the wastegate spring pressure will end up a tad higher depending on how much you clock the housing...if you've got washers on there, it would probably be a good idea to remove them.

For future reference, here are the steps to follow:

Remove turbo
remove coolant pipe to turbo centre housing
unhook wastegate
remove snap ring (needle nose pliers work just fine)
remove compressor housing
remove o-ring
determine desired position, grind new notch
install o-ring, install compressor housing
install snap ring
re-install wastegate
install coolant pipes
re-install turbo

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
does anyone have any pictures of this pin?

i have some rust on my housing and its impossible to tell where it is

and if youre all reffering to the large metal "clamp ring" that holds the two together then the ring is by that right?

thanks

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
gotsomegetsome;1189600 said:
does anyone have any pictures of this pin?

i have some rust on my housing and its impossible to tell where it is

and if youre all reffering to the large metal "clamp ring" that holds the two together then the ring is by that right?

thanks

nope, I'm referring to the snap ring which joins the compressor housing (aluminum) to the center housing...not the clamp ring with two bolts.