Climate control woes.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Alright, so lately, my climate control has been acting up. Specifically the fan/blower motor (I think?). For the past few days, the fan will just shut completely off and then back on. Well, last night, it finally took a dump on me (in the freezing cold), and won't blow any air - not on any fan setting, or any temperature.

From what I'm reading, this is either the blower motor resistor or the actual blower motor. Any other thoughts? Could it possibly be the fuse?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
doubt its the fuse, its prob the fan/ resistor. if you resistor looks like this pic, then its that. if not its the fan. fan can be tested by just giving it 12v and see if it spins again.

blower%20res2.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I've repaired about a half dozen of these, but the part isn't all that expensive.

Get a short heavy gauge wire (10-16AWG) and put a couple of spade terminals on them. Jumper pins 6 and 3 on the wiring harness and turn the fan on high. If it works then it's definitely the resistor. If not, then it's the fan.

Note that if the fan motor goes, the resistor will quickly follow, since it depends on the fan moving air in order to cool it. (My resistor failed immediately following the fan motor going.)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dan_Gyoba;1780643 said:
Note that if the fan motor goes, the resistor will quickly follow, since it depends on the fan moving air in order to cool it. (My resistor failed immediately following the fan motor going.)
Interesting, I have this same problem in the Mk2. I just kinda sucked it up that winter I had to drive it, but it sure isn't fun, especially if your windows start to fog up.

In the mean time, you should invest in some UnderArmor, that stuff works great in the cold. :)

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Dan_Gyoba;1780643 said:
I've repaired about a half dozen of these, but the part isn't all that expensive.

Get a short heavy gauge wire (10-16AWG) and put a couple of spade terminals on them. Jumper pins 6 and 3 on the wiring harness and turn the fan on high. If it works then it's definitely the resistor. If not, then it's the fan.

I apologize if I make myself sound like an idiot, but what you just said sounds like witch craft to me. Could you elaborate a bit more? I know next to nothing about wiring/car electronic things.

WI88Supra

WI Supra Fan
He is saying to get some wire and crimp some flat terminals on each end to make yourself a jumper wire.

Plug each end of the jumper wire into the pins(or sockets) so that you are making a direct connection from the harness to the fans without going through the resistor. If the fans work then the problem is the resistor since you have taken it out of the loop and gone around it.

If the fans still don't work then chances are it's the fan motor itself that's bad.