Climate Control questions

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I have an interesting question about the climate control system. My Supra's system was working quite well (heating, cooling, A/C, etc.) until just recently. I noticed that in order to get warm air out of the vents, I had to turn it up all the way to 85 when in MANUAL mode. Anything below that would be cold air. Yesterday it was about 40 deg F outside.

Before that, I could get the temperature to change slightly to where I wanted it to be between 66-84. 65 would give all cold air and 85 would give all hot air. Now it has to be at 85 to get any hot air out. When I parked, I happened to notice that the little plastic cover up by the windshield on the passenger side that covers what I think is the solar sensor is missing. Is this cover important? Would the soaking of the sensor is unfiltered sun cause an issue? Looking at this diagram in the TSRM:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AC&P=12

I'm not quite sure what it's purpose is, but it's connected to the system amp so it must be for something. I know where the ambient and in-car sensors are located and it looks like they work in conjunction to accomplish a task in AUTO mode, but what does the solar sensor do? Since all other operations work, I think one of the sensors isn't allowing proper adjustment of air flow across the heater core. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, no cover = thinks it's really sunny out and doesn't blow warm. The sensor is easy to replace, and it's cheap (think it was like $12 when I bought mine)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
You think autozone could get it or is it a dealer part only. Mine has been missing since I bought the car in 8+ years ago.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Betting dealer only. It's part number 88625-20140 and it's the same for all years. Like I said, it's easy to change, the hardest part is getting the glove box out to get up behind there to the connector. As they're all the same, could pull one in a junkyard as well.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Wish I had a good junkyard to pull from. I'll just order it on Monday. Thanks for the part #! It's seems a little odd to me that it would say that too much sunlight means you don't really want hot air. You'd think they would let the driver decide that. However, it might be useful to others. Sometimes I miss my old MR2's sliders for temp and vent! :)

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Better yet, I found the cover for it! I thought it had departed the vehicle, but found it under the passenger seat after some searching with a flashlight. It's all good now!