Climate control help

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
I have the push button control, everything is working fine except for the position buttons. They don't like to work. Any one know how to go about fixing them? Also, I saw a video on youtube of a guy who changed his lights and put in some in the climate control instead of the old funky green ones. Has anyone else done this and if so where and what leds did you use? Thanks so much.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The buttons do wear out, and there really isn't anything that can be done about it from my experience. I might try again soon though.

EDIT: Well, soon means now, since I was bored. Yep, it's possible to fix the buttons, but tedious as hell...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The repair isn't for the faint of heart as it requires near complete disassembly of one of the circuit boards. Took me about 4 hours of work.

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
any advice why the low-med dont work and only high work? and then randomly the low and med work??

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I could probably repair CC's (as the button issue seems to be common), but there's plenty of people that already do LED swaps...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
this ^

super common in these cars and a bunch of others.. it's a cheap part to replace, and it's located under the glove-box area IIRC (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The problem with the buttons no staying pressed in is due to the individual push contacts inside the unit. They are all topped by a stamped steel sleeve, which holds a spring loaded brass slide bar underneath, which has small tabs which in turn fit into plastic detents whithin each individual push switch. These detents round off with use, and are virtually impossible to fix. The company that made these switches no longer creates them(I emailed them- a company called Noble.)

It is possible to repair it by using a donor climate control. Since people hate the early model units, you can pick a few of them up and use the best push switches out of them. But as Poodles said- be prepaired for a world of pain. There are a myriad of small parts under that steel sleeve that pop out once you remove it.

p1879519_1.jpg

p1879519_2.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Mine were still good after 23 years because I rarely fooled with them. Just left the system in auto and adjusted the temp. The downside is after the servo pots wear a flat spot the dampers start hunting. That wouldn't be so bad except the noise is annoying and the servos aren't cheap or easy to change.