climate control buttons

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
Hey guys, I did a search, couldn't find anything, and so I have a simple question. The mode select buttons on my climate control are not staying pushed in when i try to change modes between like, top vent, bottom vent, both vents, def/bottom vent, and def. is this a common problem?

also, my LO fan setting does nothing. it's like i turned it off.

i'm pretty good with this kind of thing, do you all think it would be possible to fix it? Or would I just need to swap it out? Or could it be something else? I saw one post (I think by IJ) about a bad switching assembly in his system.

Thanks!
Charlie

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, the dysfunctional LOW setting means that your fan resistor has burned out that coil. You can get a new fan resistor from Toyota, or you can pull your existing one and try to solder the coil back together.

modnar

If all else fails-Kick it
Aug 28, 2005
NOR*CAL
hmmmm, CAn't say I can help, but I would like information on this too if people have it. My low setting doesn't do anythingand nothing happens when I select low vent/defrost. The light turns on along with everything else while the button is pressed in, but as soon as you release it the whole thing shuts off. It is very dissatisfying...

modnar

modnar

Aug 28, 2005
NOR*CAL
fan resistor, huh... sounds like fun. Maybe I'll just stick with the med setting for now. I gotta get me some new tires first (yes, The tires are that bad).
Thanks for the info. Anybody have any recomendations on that other switch thats not quite working?

modnar

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
grim, thanks for the low info. you wouldn't happen to have a part number would you?

my buttons just won't stay pushed in... maybe that's a problem with the actual buttons that i can fix. i'll have the whole thing out next week when i get my console. has anyone else had the buttons wont' stay in problem?

jaydm16

May 2, 2005
My climate control on my 91 does the same thing. Everything works fine you just have to get the buttons memorized. I cant push and hold mine because the vent selection wont change and a quick click doesnt do it either.

You're going to think im crazy but ill try to explain this easily. When you push a button (for example defrost/floor) push it lightly and just a hair shy of all the way in. It should stay selected...

It took me almost a year and a half to figure mine out.

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
I have the exact same thing too. It used to drive me nuts but I do not drive my car in the winter anymore so it doesn't matter. It is kinda funny though because it took like 6 months to get the proper "touch" to make the heater controls stick. I have no idea how to fix it other than ripping it a part and fixing the clips and spring that hold the buttons in. Let me know if you any ideas. I was also thinking of getting the JDM heater control that is pretty cool and has less of the annoying buttons.

Geoff

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
my buttons on my 91 wont stay selected either, everytime it rains i gotta keep holding my defrost button, he he, sometimes i get pissed off and just jam my fingers on the buttons, it sticks here and there, its a moody climate control

modnar

Aug 28, 2005
NOR*CAL
sounds like the buttons not working may be a 91 thing cause the problem with mine is the defrost/floor vent button on my 91. Any other years do this? Has anybody fixed this (besides getting climate control from a different year).

modnar

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
GrimJack said:
Well, the dysfunctional LOW setting means that your fan resistor has burned out that coil. You can get a new fan resistor from Toyota, or you can pull your existing one and try to solder the coil back together.

Here is the repair from the SOGI site
http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=56

I did this, and it lasted a year. The second time I just removed the littlest coil and made one from some small diameter stainles steel 'safety wire' I got from the motorcycle shop. I soldered it into place 2 years ago.

As for the buttons not staying in place, it would seem that you'd have to diassemble the control panel. If any one does this, let us know how it turns out.:icon_razz