Cleaning the ERG ports/cooling plate....

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Anyone have any luck doing this on the car?

Long story short, went for the state inspection, put the cat back in etc... and it failed for nox being too high. I know the cat is clean, (haven't used it in 2 yrs) so we tried testing the EGR manually opening it. No stall. I have pulled the upper intake, cleaned it out (boy it needed it!). Pulled the EGR, cleaned it out, verified it works w/ a vacuum pump.

The port on he head looked pretty nasty w/ build up, so I have cleaded it out best that I can, but am concerned about the cooler plate. Do you thing I could get in there w/ some throttlebody cleaner and pipe-cleaner/brushes of some sort? I really hate to have to pull the damn head.

Suggestions?

Bryan

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
mine was really bad, I soaked the plate (it collects on the plate worse for some reason) in chemdip for days and I still had to attack it with a steel bristle brush...

After pulling everything apart, the plate and the port into the exhaust port don't clog that bad, it's really the passage in the intake manifold that clogs badly for some reason (guess it's cooled enough to stick or something).

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
After i fixed my bhg my egr cooler plate gasket was blown. talk about blown gaskets lol. I have tiny hands i used a nice gear wrench socket set and got all 10 bolts out in under an hour. It CAN be done. removing the charcoal canister helps a lot.
-Steve