Cleaned my '90 up good

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
doubt anybody's too interested in this, nothing nutzo, and nothing planned for a while, but here's some pics showing my supra last winter, and now this summer...

p1383005_1.jpg

p1383005_2.jpg

new paint... which my dad sprayed and got looking good, i did a good bit of touch up on it

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1383005_3.jpg

clean rims..

p1383005_4.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Looks really good, but I'm not feelin' the tail at all.

And those wheels! :aigo: They are SEXY HOT! What did you do/use? How long did it take? I really want sawblades like that!

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
i'm not sure about the wing.. i like it, might switch to the nsx style tho, as the LED in that one is gone... i don't have any real mods planned for the tail tho, was gonna switch the rims, but the clearcoat was pretty easy to get off and it looked good.

For the wheels:
If you go to an autoparts store, you wanna look for aircraft grade paint stripper... this will keep you from scratching the aluminum underneath, then i pretty much used a toothbrush and a green kitchen scrubber to get the stuff off once i sprayed it. Basically, you spray the stripper on, allow it to dry for a minute or so, then scrub as much of the stuff off as you can, and finally rinse with a hose as the acid in the stripper will cease working once you mix in water (helpful if you get it on yourself like i did). Probably a good idea to do this with the wheels off the car if yours aren't currently on, and don't forget to take off the hubcaps. Otherwise put a sheet of cardboard in front of the fender that you will be spraying torwards.. pretty simple process, took about an hour and two cans of stripper ~7 bucks a pop.

Edit: o yeah, don't do it in the sun, and use an airhose or towel to dry the wheels off between sprayings of stripper.. do it in the shade, the stripper works better if it's cool

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
Supra28;1383234 said:
^ Thanks for the info. What are you going to do about the center caps?

the wheels look decent with them on, though i honestly like them better off. it's hard to notice the color difference though if you do put them on.

Edit: to the credit of the caps, i've had them on for several weeks with the wheels shined, and nobody's noticed the color diff unless i mention it, they're slightly darker in the center, that's all.

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
lewis15498;1383245 said:
Probably not a good idea to get that stripper on your tires. Cant imagine its good for the rubber, otherwise looks great!

no effect that i could see. i didn't spray straight on the rubber heavy (as i wasn't aiming at the tire), but some did get on. the only really bad thing was having a big chunk of stripped clearcoat come down onto my foot, as i was wearing sandals.. i sprayed it with the hose pretty quick but it was still like getting a first degree burn lol.