Chrisco's 1992 Supra Build (PICTURE HEAVY)

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
This story starts way back in the year 2001 when I purchased my first Toyota Supra. It was a burgundy 1987 Turbo 5 speed model, with about 125k miles on a very clean chassis. I went through a lot with this car while I owned it; repairing, restoring, and modding it along the way. It was a blast to drive whether you were cruising down the interstate, carving through the twisties, or tearing up the drag strip. But, while I loved it very much, it also caused a great deal of stress being my only mode of transportation. I was always worried about something breaking or about it being messed with while on a college campus. I finally got to a point in late 2006 where I felt that I was better off selling it, rather than continuously pouring money into something that I was forced to abuse through daily driving. It was a sad day when it left down the street, being driven by a new owner.

25511qg.jpg

2zi9emh.jpg

33en690.jpg

As many of you know, I've been through several different vehicles between then and now, but I always knew that I'd eventually own another Supra. After selling the G8 and finally purchasing a car that I vowed not to touch unless it was for maintenance purposes, I was able to make room for a new toy. Something that could stay in the garage in bad weather and be cared for the way it should. Something that I could take time to build the way I wanted, and not rush to get back on the road for work at the end of the weekend. Something that I would be able to plan for and make into that car I always wanted.

On April 9th, 2011, that something finally came into my life in the form of a 1992 Toyota Supra. Early that warm spring Saturday morning I hopped on a plane down to Fort Smith Arkansas where my new beauty lay wait. While she needed a little bit of TLC, she was still perfect. Her sharp lines and smooth curves glistening in the sun. The soft touch of her smooth, black leather wrapped upholstery firmly gripping my body. I couldn't wait to get her home.

24exc05.jpg

rutgcw.jpg

2qwew43.jpg

e8kao8.jpg

5poajk.jpg

25iqbm9.jpg

vemcdy.jpg

5v8yhe.jpg

29m4v0x.jpg

9krqjn.jpg

2m67evq.jpg

20jsdfl.jpg

egvi50.jpg

bjhlch.jpg

eq71v4.jpg

In the first 24 hours of ownership, we drove over 850 miles together; the first night was even spent sleeping inside of her. But, eventually, we made it back to Chicago-land where her new home awaited.

kd8zmt.jpg

24lvry8.jpg

First on the to-do-list was fixing a couple of exhaust leaks that needed some attention to make the car fully drivable for the coming season. I pulled, sand blasted, and painted the manifold, replaced a broken stud, and installed some new factory gaskets and O2 sensor. This engine won't be staying in the bay for very long, but now with only 84,000 miles on the clock, it's still running well and will do just fine to enjoy the car for this season.

212g2hj.jpg

105bscn.jpg

29njjoz.jpg

2envtr5.jpg

14dgk8g.jpg

Next on the to-do-list was giving her the TLC she had been desperately needing. I touched up several edges of the front fascia, hood, headlight covers, side moldings, fenders, and doors that had been burned by an ignorant detailer with a buffing wheel; as well as a few rock chips and scratches. It still needs some more touch up, but there is a night and day difference from what has been done so far.

After letting the paint dry for a day, I went ahead and removed the black pin striping from the fenders and doors, and then spent 11.5 hours clay barring and waxing the entire car. Again, it still needs some work, but for 20 year old red paint that spent the majority of its life baking in the Florida sun, I have to say it's looking pretty damn good. While most people thought I was crazy to spend so much time on the car in a single evening only to have to work the next day on one hour of sleep, I can't really disagree. But, the 2011 opening meet at Luke's Beef (rather large local car show/gathering) was the next day so it had to be done!

33atgz8.jpg

34fd0ra.jpg

5bwhu0.jpg

1692q21.jpg

6z7lmc.jpg

2598tpc.jpg

29usqrl.jpg

So now that I finally have another Supra that's clean and has a nice home in a garage, I can start doing some nasty things to her. Most of this won't start to happen until this winter/next year, but I figure now is a good time to plan for the future. The following is a general projection of what I plan to do with the car. As you read through the build, you'll notice that I have a few of these things checked off the list and am continuing on the rest.

The Plan

Engine: 7M-GE -> 7M-GTE
Turbo: PT6266
Exhaust: Custom 4 inch turbo-back
Transmission: W58 -> R154 swap
Suspension: Stance GR+
Wheels: 17x8 Front and 17x10 Rear 5Zigen Fn01r-C
Tires: Nitto NT-01 245/45 Front and 275/40 Rear
Body: Continue cleaning up the stock look, add new front lip

Overall goal will be a fun street/road course/strip car in the 6-700whp range. Obviously there is much more than I listed that will be going into the build, such as fuel system and general R&R of the entire car, but those are the main things that are worth mentioning. I apologize for the shitty cell phone pictures (especially the shaky post-wax ones... I couldn't hold my hand steady I was so tired).

1992 Toyota Supra Non-turbo 5 speed manual Hard top with 84k miles. Not a spot of rust anywhere on the car! Original Florida car, bought in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I am the third owner of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
Dropped the car about 1.5 inches and added some new shoes. It's not on the Stance coilovers that I'd like to get, but something had to be done after finding a killer deal on the wheels.

w7iij9.jpg

if49p0.jpg

505mvt.jpg

osg40x.jpg

s5y2cx.jpg

343qmgn.jpg

210amtf.jpg

ehdb84.jpg

jkbolk.jpg

2whnq6f.jpg

258perk.jpg

And then a friend of mine started taking a photography class and wanted to practice some night shots, so I figured I'd post up a few.

2v007zm.jpg

2v2y3xj.jpg

5ahkz4.jpg

fuc9dd.jpg

2rnj4ef.jpg

dwexoy.jpg

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
6yf6hj.jpg

The stock 7MGE about to come out and I sourced a good complete (ECU, harness, sensors, accessories and engine with an HKS MHG and ARP head studs) 7MGTE that will be going in within the week. Also have an R154 and aluminum 1 piece driveshaft that will go in at the same time.

UPDATE 11/18/2011

The engine's coming out!
23vl3qx.jpg

It's out!
14yc2eb.jpg

Super clean 86k mile '92 N/A 5spd engine getting parted out if anyone wants anything. The longblock is spoken for, but most everything else is up for grabs!
es2sts.jpg

UPDATE 3/26/2012

Mod/Build List:

Engine:

Remove Original 86k mile ’92 7MGE (Non-Turbo)
Tear down ’91 7MGTE engine to base longblock
Verify Install of Metal Head Gasket and ARP Head Studs
Re-Torque ARP Head Studs to 85 ft./lbs.
Inspect and clean Cams and Cam Journals
Install 7MGE Valve covers with new bolts and Toyota Sealer
Inspect Timing Belt
Remove cut/mangled 7MGTE Upper Timing Cover
Install 7MGE Upper Timing Cover
Install -8 Stainless Braided Oil Feed Line from Oil Pump to Block
Sand Blast and Paint Oil Pan and Oil Pan Bolts
Reseal/Install Oil Pan with Toyota Sealer
Block Off Factory Oil Cooler Return
Remove Factory Oil Filter Housing to Eliminate Factory Oil Cooler
Install Non-Turbo Oil Filter Union
Sand Blast and Paint Water Pipe from Tstat
Install silicone hoses on front and back of water pipe
Replace Coolant Temp sensors
Install new OEM Water Pump
Install new OEM Tstat and Tstat housing
Install new OEM Cam Position Sensor O-ring, CPS Cover and CPS Cover seal
Re-time the Engine
Remove all EGR Components
Tap and Plug EGR outlet port on back of head
Install Block-off plate for EGR inlet on Intake Manifold
Remove Exhaust Manifold Studs from Head
Drill/Tap/Helicoil Head for 7/16 Exhaust Studs
Install 7/16 Exhaust Studs
Install Ported Factory Exhaust Manifold with OEM Toyota Gasket
Install Modified 57 Trim CT-26 Turbo with Garret Center Section and OEM Toyota Gasket
Install Braided Oil Feed Line from block to turbo
Modify Factory Turbo Oil Return and install Silicone Oil Return Hose from Turbo
Modify Factory Turbo Coolant Supply line and route back to water neck
Gasket Match Turbine Outlet Gasket with Turbine Housing
Sand Blast and Paint Turbo Support Bracket
Remove J-pipe and Install Block-off
Remove Fuel Damper
Remove and Clean Fuel Rail
Install Precision 550cc Injectors
Install Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Install -6 fittings and lines to/from Fuel Rail Inlet, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Fuel Return
Install 2 New 92+ Knock Sensors
Knock sensor rewire using shielded coax cable from sensor to ECU with additional chassis ground for shielding
Fix/Rewire Every Connector on Engine Harness
Install Injector Connectors/Clips for 550cc injectors
Remove and Clean Cold Start Injector and Re-install
Install Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump
Rewire Fuel Pump for factory computer control of 75amp relay supplying full 12V
Re-seal Intake Manifold with all new OEM Toyota Gaskets and Install Manifold
Install Throttle Body with new OEM Toyota Gasket
Bypass Coolant lines to Throttle Body
Swap from 7MGTE to 7MGE Throttle Linkage Bracket
Modify Throttle Linkage to work with 7MGE Bracket and 7MGTE Throttle Body
Install NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Install 2JZ VVTi Coil-On-Plug ignition (remove 7MGTE coil assembly)
Extend Ignition Coil Harness for 2JZ Coils
Remove Factory AFM (Air Flow Meter)
Install MAF Translator and GM 3.5” MAF Sensor
Install SPEARCO Front Mount Intercooler
Install 2.5” Intercooler pipes from Intercooler to Throttle Body
Remove Factory Turbo Elbow and Install 3” Downpipe to 3” electronic exhaust cutout to factory cat-back exhaust
Exhaust Scavenger in Downpipe for PCV
Rewire Factory Non-Turbo Tach for Turbo ECU (replaced 4 resistors with required value resistors)

Transmission/Driveline:

Remove Original 86k mile W58 to swap to R154
Install Marlin Crawler R154 Shifter bushings
Install new OEM Toyota Input and Output shaft seals
Remove and Sandblast Bellhousing
Sand Blast and Paint Clutch Release Fork
Sand Blast Paint, and Install Upper Bellhousing/Block Sandwich Plate
Install Lightweight Flywheel (Brand unknown) with ARP Flywheel Bolts
Install OEM Toyota Clutch and Pressure Plate with New OEM Toyota Release Hub and Throwout Bearing
Install New OEM Toyota Pilot Bearing
Install New AISEN Clutch Slave Cylinder
Install New OEM Slave Cylinder Hard Line
Install Steel Braided Slave Cylinder Soft Line
Remove Factory Non-Turbo 4.30 Differential
Install Factory 89+ Turbo 3.73 LSD Differential
Install ShaftMasters One-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft

Soooo… for those of you who have been wondering where I’ve been… now ya know!

As it was when I bought it from a local guy...

p1777616_1.jpg

Build Pics (sorry for the crappy cell phone quality)...

p1777616_2.jpg

p1777616_3.png

p1777616_4.png

p1777616_5.png

p1777616_6.png

p1777616_7.png

p1777616_8.png

p1777616_9.png

p1777616_10.png

p1777616_11.png

p1777616_12.png

p1777616_13.png

p1777616_14.png

p1777616_15.png

p1777616_16.png

p1777616_17.png

p1777616_18.png

p1777616_19.png

My Happy Helpers!

p1777616_20.jpg

p1777616_21.jpg

p1777616_22.jpg

As it sits right now...

p1777616_23.jpg

Last edited:

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
$9000 thats what the price was.. I watched this car for about 2 months.. I live here in fort smith, every time an mk3 springs up i know about it, and that was by far the cleanest mk3 out of the area. But I had no Idea it even sold, I figured they pulled it off of the lot. It looks like it has found a nice home in chicago, and a good owner! Keep up the good work sir!

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
laotionracer101;1777627 said:
$9000 thats what the price was.. I watched this car for about 2 months.. I live here in fort smith, every time an mk3 springs up i know about it, and that was by far the cleanest mk3 out of the area. But I had no Idea it even sold, I figured they pulled it off of the lot. It looks like it has found a nice home in chicago, and a good owner! Keep up the good work sir!

I'm not sure what you meant by the price being $9000, but I can tell you I bought the car for less than half of that. :)

Thank you all for the compliments. There should be a good deal of progress with this car in the coming months.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I remember that maroon Supra of yours! LOL, I had that burnout video saved on my old computer for the looooongest. The new Supra looks badass! You have the exact wheels I want (color and even tire specs). Car is so blingy, can't wait to see what's in store for this one.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Looks good!! you have any idea how the leather inserts on the interior panels were done in black? Rewrap or dye?

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
Supra28;1777660 said:
I remember that maroon Supra of yours! LOL, I had that burnout video saved on my old computer for the looooongest. The new Supra looks badass! You have the exact wheels I want (color and even tire specs). Car is so blingy, can't wait to see what's in store for this one.

Hah yeah that picture/video brings back a lot of memories. I'm glad they were enjoyed by others as well!

lithium14;1777675 said:
Looks good!! you have any idea how the leather inserts on the interior panels were done in black? Rewrap or dye?

They weren't redone. That's factory 1992 Shadow Grey leather interior :) One of the many reasons I just couldn't pass up on this car.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
wow nice find. There's that saying that a gift is worth giving if it meant alot to you. So yeah not always a sad day when you sell your car. :D

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The only thing that could get me to debate getting a different chassis mk3 is if I could find a super clean 92, sunroof or hardtop, shadow-grey. You have found a beautiful chassis and looks like you have great plans for it. Great photography too!

Good luck and keep the pics coming! :)

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
Thanks again for all the compliments!

The engine's coming out!
23vl3qx.jpg

It's out!
14yc2eb.jpg

Super clean 86k mile '92 N/A 5spd engine getting parted out if anyone wants anything. The longblock is spoken for, but most everything else is up for grabs!
es2sts.jpg

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
To this point it has just been a lot of part accumulation as well as an effort to sell off as much as I can from the old GE/W58 to gain funds for the swap. Recently I've cleaned the engine bay and picked up the GTE to be swapped in. I'll be spending the next couple weeks tearing it apart to clean/media blast/R&R maintenance items and reseal the engine before it goes in.

As she sits now:

21kh3l5.jpg

Next update to come in January.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Beautiful car! I have a suggestion for while the motor is out...................

p1786313_1.jpg

That was $700 wasted, but it was beautiful. I gave that car to jugodegolf, and he had it painted by an idiot. He then gave up on trying to fix it. I gave up on that car when I got my 92. Anyway, the sun made the front half of that picture turn orange. It is the color of the firewall.

BTW.......let me know by PM if you would like to be a part of the 92 owners group on here.