Chokes when hot?

1toyotafolife

addict
Feb 8, 2007
Midland Tx
Ok first of all I just installed a used jdm motor in at the begining of the month.
Runs fine but it idles a lil under 2k when motor is warm after I have adjusted it the lowest it will go. When I drive for about an 30 min or more around town it starts to choke and then dies. I have to chill for 10 min or so untill it cools down to start it again. The temp gauge reads normal but when I get out to check the top radiator hose it does not have any pressure? I know the vaccume hoses on top of the thermostat housing are broke. So could that be the problem?:1zhelp:

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
Usualy no pressure in a rad hose is a clog in the system(One would think that the temp would read hot though.) or a bad rad cap. Did you re-use your old cap? Could be heatsoak?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
1toyotafolife;939298 said:
Ok first of all I just installed a used jdm motor in at the begining of the month.
Runs fine but it idles a lil under 2k when motor is warm after I have adjusted it the lowest it will go. When I drive for about an 30 min or more around town it starts to choke and then dies. I have to chill for 10 min or so untill it cools down to start it again. The temp gauge reads normal but when I get out to check the top radiator hose it does not have any pressure? I know the vaccume hoses on top of the thermostat housing are broke. So could that be the problem?:1zhelp:
How did you adjust the idle? There isn't a idle adjustment. You need to fix the vacume hoses first. Any vacume leaks are going to give you idle problems.

1toyotafolife

addict
Feb 8, 2007
Midland Tx
AJ'S 88NA;939496 said:
How did you adjust the idle? There isn't a idle adjustment. You need to fix the vacume hoses first. Any vacume leaks are going to give you idle problems.

Well I thought the screw on the throttle.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
1toyotafolife;939578 said:
Well I thought the screw on the throttle.
The idle is controlled by the ECU. I don't know what screw you are talking about, there is adjustment nuts on the cable, a throttle stop screw and that's about it.

The BVSV is for the charcoal canister. But if you haven't capped off the vac lines to the throttle body you should cap them off to see if the idle comes down.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
As AJ pointed out idle is ECU controlled. Assuming the throttle plate is fully closed (verify it is) the only other idle air paths are the PCV system and idle speed control valve.

Try plugging the PCV inlet on the throttle body and pinching off or plugging the idle hose ahead of the valve. The engine should die. If it doesn't you have pirate air somewhere.

Another possibility is since the ISCV steps fully open after shutdown it may have failed in that state. I say that because a fully open valve will result in an idle of a little less than 2K.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
jetjock;939820 said:
As AJ pointed out idle is ECU controlled. Assuming the throttle plate is fully closed (verify it is) the only other idle air paths are the PCV system and idle speed control valve.

Try plugging the PCV inlet on the throttle body and pinching off or plugging the idle hose ahead of the valve. The engine should die. If it doesn't you have pirate air somewhere.

Another possibility is since the ISCV steps fully open after shutdown it may have failed in that state. I say that because a fully open valve will result in an idle of a little less than 2K.

Damn JJ you ought to stickie all the little tricks you know to check things out, they don't put all those in the TSRM. You have a very common-tech way of looking at things and how they relate and react that even I can understand.:) Glad you are here. I can suggest things that might be the problem, but you give info and simple ways to check operations of the possible problems.:bigthumb: