chipped piston can still function correctly?

danyosun

Apr 16, 2009
Long Beach/Irvine
So I am rebuilding my 7M GTE and I took my engine to the machine shop to get some stuff done, but while I was assembling my engine together I notice one of pistons was chipped at the end, I was wondering if this is a serious matter? and should i actually replace the piston instead or just go with it? Thanks

here are some up close picture of how it looks

p1309190_1.jpg

p1309190_2.jpg

p1309190_3.jpg

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You can see a bit of a bulge on top, but the impact area itself is kinda dark.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Just being a bit concave made me question it but if it hit something that wasn't flat that would explain it.

Either way it's a failure waiting to happen alone with the dragged behind a car on concrete deck surface :(

danyosun

Apr 16, 2009
Long Beach/Irvine
see the things is I just had it resurfaced, its really smooth but I dont know what those spots are, the surface is good and smooth, the spots shouldnt make a difference should it?

So from the responses, Imma just replace the piston, right?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
danyosun;1309257 said:
see the things is I just had it resurfaced, its really smooth but I dont know what those spots are, the surface is good and smooth, the spots shouldnt make a difference should it?

So from the responses, Imma just replace the piston, right?

assembly05.jpg

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
That deck is deff way too rough, looks like a belt sander job for sure.
+1 on piston with that chip should be replaced, could even have fractures from the impact since being cast.

danyosun

Apr 16, 2009
Long Beach/Irvine
So im just going to pick up a new piston because it looks way too scary to use it
but the things is, the surface doesnt look smooth, but it feels really smooth and that it cant get no smoother than that, i just dont know why there are stains and stuff. should it even matter how it looks? or just the how the surface really feels?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
danyosun;1310371 said:
So im just going to pick up a new piston because it looks way too scary to use it
but the things is, the surface doesnt look smooth, but it feels really smooth and that it cant get no smoother than that, i just dont know why there are stains and stuff. should it even matter how it looks? or just the how the surface really feels?
Of course it can get smoother didn't you look at the pic of my engine? :nono:

Chances are run like it is it will fail if you crank the boost up.

The dark marks are errosion lows and as long as they're not under the actual gasket should be fine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Nice pitting. Those holes look beyond .002". So after the machine shop fixes it, you will beyond specs. That is where the thicker MHG comes in. Actually, you need a machined straight edge with a .002" feeler gauge to check the depth. But they look deeper than 2.

I would still be leary of pulling that much deck material. It makes it easier to warp later. Which is why Toyota says to discard the block at .002" warpage. Yes, I know others have done it and run a MHG with studs tightened well beyond 58 lb/ft..