chevy 350 swap

White MK III

Dec 30, 2008
ledyard, CT
ok im doin a nice little 350 swap in my 86 mklll, ive search but havent found exact info on this swap or atleast all the right info.... please send me a link and or info, or someone who has very sucssively done this, please would be really helpful to get this done asap ...just lookin to fill in the blanks also lookin for opinions on fuel injected or carb. thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I'd use fuel injected. Carb is too out dated. Specifically a ls1.

Need to make custom mounts and such. A lot of work.

Also depends what trans you will use.

Don't think there is a parts list. Not many people have done it.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
White MK III;1910176 said:
ok im doin a nice little 350 swap in my 86 mklll, ive search but havent found exact info on this swap or atleast all the right info.... please send me a link and or info, or someone who has very sucssively done this, please would be really helpful to get this done asap ...just lookin to fill in the blanks also lookin for opinions on fuel injected or carb. thanks

Be very careful, its WAY to easy to butcher one of these cars by doing a 350 engine swap. Here are my suggestions:

- Use Supra gauge sending units for the water temp and oil pressure - that way the factory gauge cluster wont go unused.
- Use a GM 1 wire alternator with an external regulator wired properly to the body harness - that way your battery light and volt gauge functions properly.
-- If your planning on ditching the stock gauge cluster I would look into a complete set of AutoMeter gauges, the only difficult one will be the fuel level.
- If going with a autobox find a shifter that fits in the stock Supra center console - otherwise you will be hacking away at the interior parts.
- Have the key excite the EFI main relay and have the switched side send power to the distributor/ coil.
- Use rubber engine mounts - the chassis will thank you.
- Upgrade the front/ all suspension - springs and struts or coil overs - I'm no suspension guru so I can't give any manufacturer suggestions.
- Use the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator so you can still run the fuel pump in the tank - you will need to replace the factory return line as it will be to small
-- From reading the instructions for the regulator it seems like this eliminates the lift pump on the block
-- You can use the fuel pump relay and resistor to control the fuel pump when the key is turned on - again utilizing the EFI main relay
-- If you don’t want to use the Aero regulator you will need to fab a pick up in the tank and plumb the lines up front to the lift pump (not sure what to do with the return line with a lift pump, depending on the carb it may return from there)
- Upgrade the radiator, you can fit a big-ol aluminum one in there with no issues, but be sure to run a big E fan on a relay switched power source (or two med. fans).

Again, these were my suggestions, its your car by all means do what you want. These were just a few of the things I considered when looking into a carbed 350 engine swap.

White MK III

Dec 30, 2008
ledyard, CT
thanks for some of the info , def not gonna mess the car up , but its also gonna be use as a drift car so im def lookin for all the right info.... from the looks of things u have done the 1uz swap , can you tell me any plus to this swap?<power,torque,bolton performance>? the reason im thinkin the v8 is im a gm tech, there simple to work on n easy power good torque. im also tryin to decide the best trans to run for this swap n drift? i know any trans i do im gonna have to upgrade the clutches, n valve bodies but not to sure were to go with it .... im also guessing i need to make a custom drive shaft to bolt in to my diff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Long as you go with an aluminum block, you'll do well in this regard if you can pull it off right. Iron block... forget it. WAY too heavy and really kills the handling of an already front heavy car.

Were you intending to use an auto for a drift car? Can't say I've heard that thought tossed around much, but I'm no expert. Would just hate for the trans to do something that I didn't want it to mid-slide... and yes, you'll need a custom driveshaft unless you can get the tail of the trans to line up perfectly where it was stock, and, actually... you'll probably need a different end on the shaft for the trans anyway.

Do some homework around here, a few people have pulled it off (some better than others), and judge from there if you want to go to the trouble. Another cool build, we have a member here who put the 4.2L Atlas I6 in his car. ;)

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The weight difference between Al and iron block is 100lbs. I wouldn't call that a balance killer.

The Al block is an easy way to shave weight but if you are going over 600hp then the iron block is hard to beat.

White MK III

Dec 30, 2008
ledyard, CT
yea def no auto for drift , i would love a t56 but we all would love that.... its def getting a manual trans of sort.... 350 is the best baang for the buck but i also just watched a 1uz turbo 240 do work so i def have more homework to do so this is part of it, opinions and advice r important lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MightyAl;1911571 said:
The weight difference between Al and iron block is 100lbs. I wouldn't call that a balance killer.

The Al block is an easy way to shave weight but if you are going over 600hp then the iron block is hard to beat.
Ever been a skinny kid on a teeter totter Al? :p

Agreed on the power goal though, especially for the price, the iron blocks aren't bad, just not my style I suppose.

IJ.;1911573 said:
Wouldn't imagine a front bias would be bad for drifting anyway..
You know, the easiest car I ever drifted was my old SS Camaro. No idea the F/R balance, but the wheel base was long, the torque was good, and the T56...

White MK III;1911735 said:
yea def no auto for drift , i would love a t56 but we all would love that.... its def getting a manual trans of sort.... 350 is the best baang for the buck but i also just watched a 1uz turbo 240 do work so i def have more homework to do so this is part of it, opinions and advice r important lol
That was one of the best trans I've ever had. Good luck with your project man!