checking Timing

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
ok i know how to check timing by jumping the diag plug with a paper clip or a SST tool,but if i have codes that are in the system. Do i need to unhook the battery and erase the codes out the system or will exsisting codes prevent timing adjusting if if codes exsist?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You have no need to unhook your battery, unless you want to reset your clock and raido stations.

If you want to erase codes and short term fuel trim, pull the EFI fuse for 30 seconds. What are the codes?

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
Nick M;1455771 said:
You have no need to unhook your battery, unless you want to reset your clock and raido stations.

If you want to erase codes and short term fuel trim, pull the EFI fuse for 30 seconds. What are the codes?
A code 11 pops up.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
if there are any codes that exist, even after the ECU is reset, you cannot accurately set timing. Code 51 comes to mind ;)

dopeassjackson

Mar 13, 2009
ny
i spent about 3hrs trying to get my ignition timing at 10*btdc. the closest i got it was 6* even with moving the distributor a tooth. the adjustment is all the was to the hold down bolt. did my timing belt jump a tooth or somthing? the engine seams to run fine, really wakes up around 4K. any answers for me?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Might have jumped a tooth. Check that both cam gear indicator marks point at the backing plate index marks when the crank points at zero.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The crank at zero can indicate TDC or 180 degs out. If set correctly to begin with, the cam gears will point at the index marks as previously stated. Otherwise, you need to take out the #1 spark plug, insert a small diameter wooden dowel and turn the crank until the dowel reaches max height (should be with crank pointing at zero).

dopeassjackson

Mar 13, 2009
ny
jdub;1459537 said:
The crank at zero can indicate TDC or 180 degs out. If set correctly to begin with, the cam gears will point at the index marks as previously stated. Otherwise, you need to take out the #1 spark plug, insert a small diameter wooden dowel and turn the crank until the dowel reaches max height (should be with crank pointing at zero).
thanks for the info. usualy when i want to find TDC on #1 cyl i will put my compression gauge hose in the plug hole and crank until it lifts my finger covering the hole, then put something in the hole and find dead on TDC.

just to make sure what terminals on the diag plug should i be jumping for base timeing? T1 and E1. this is an automatic supra and i dont think its a CA model.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Don't confuse setting base timing (gears, crank and dizzy pointing at #1) and setting timing advance with a light. Make sure the former is correct 1st, then set with the light.
Yes, those are the correct terminals to jump.

dopeassjackson

Mar 13, 2009
ny
im new to this timing belt motor thing. will adjustable cam gears bring the power down below 4K? this 7mge motor is in my rock crawler so 4K is about when i start to break axles/gears and im sure trannys.