Check out my bhg PICS

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
What do you guys think?? How long would you say the gasket has been leaking? Could this have been done from one time overheating/beating on it?
p1553698_1.jpg

p1553698_2.jpg

p1553698_3.jpg

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
1 - A very long time, my guess would be the better part of a year you were easily able to tell it was blown. 6 months before that with any attention to detail you'd have noticed.
2 - Why does no one ever drain the coolant before pulling apart their engine?

(Quite fitting you put "stupid" right in your name.)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The coolant part if you take the lower rad hose off it does NOT drain all the coolant out.

I highly doubt that has been blown for over a month.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Theres this trick little part you can use to get it out called a "drain plug", when you remove it, the coolant comes out!

I watched the progression of a BHG on someone elses car for 2-3 years, overheated pretty much every day for at least a year, low coolant, the whole 9. Looked pretty similar.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
mkIIIman089;1554173 said:
Theres this trick little part you can use to get it out called a "drain plug", when you remove it, the coolant comes out!

I watched the progression of a BHG on someone elses car for 2-3 years, overheated pretty much every day for at least a year, low coolant, the whole 9. Looked pretty similar.

Every car is different. And your in 2 completly different regions, north and south. Not saying your wrong, but every car acts different and will get different effects.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yeah i know that. Its usally a pain to get to and you should always flush out your oil system after a bhg.

Waiting 2-3 years and overheating everyday is by far one of the stupidest things i have every heard. REALLY they have a problem. So yeah stupid has to be in the name.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
air:
So, the more drastic heat cycling experienced in the north makes it progress slower? Methinks not.

hvy:
It's hard to get to? With all the exhaust bits removed? Gimme a break, you're THAT lazy?

Seeing that car go from an absolutely mint 90 (91?) to the utter heap-o-junk it is now... they would be locked up if I were in power.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No usually the rad is removed wayyy before any of the exhaust. So yeah its a pain to remove that lil plug lol.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
IJ.;1554196 said:
Why are you all arguing?

It's fucked help the guy fix it correctly and don't let him half ass the repair and all will be well.

To be fair, he looks to be pretty far along, and didn't ask for any help.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mkIIIman089;1554201 said:
To be fair, he looks to be pretty far along, and didn't ask for any help.

Then why bother arguing about how long it's been blown...... who cares.

He may not have asked for help there's nothing stopping yoo guys that know better from suggesting a course of action that's known to work and maybe saving another thread in a months time "I replaced my HG and it's blown again amd I have Rod Knock"...

Anyone that continues to drive an engine with a known BHG and beats on it isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and could probably use some guidence...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Your right IJ. but he got the head off and then asked questions ;)

As long as he hardness test the head, pressure test/check for cracks, and resurfaces the head he should be good to go with a stock style hg.\

P.s. that sucker was BLOWN.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I could guess.

As posted earlier stock hg, prolly stock head bolts, and prolly stock head bolt torque. Really it might be a stock 7m that hasn't had its head changed.

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
It is all stock 100%..Without starting another mess... I got the car with a bhg the p/o has told me that it wasnt blown and that I caused it to blow on my test drive in which i drove it maybe 20-25 miles max. Just wanted some confirmation it was blown way before I even touched the car. Yes I know the coolant.. blahblah whatever... I planned on pulling the block so didnt really care just wanted the head off to see how bad it really was.. Yes I'm half assing the repair right now got a unknown head from another car felpro hg and arp studs nothing machined or checked out b any other than me.. I know the risks and that im chancing it oh well i need a running car now and need to hold out just a bit more to either rebuild it or get 2jz.. Whatever...

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
If you take the proper steps in cleaning and preparing head and block you should have a decent running car. The only issue you might have is the unknown head condition. Make sure once installed torque studs to spec and recheck after 5 heat cycles. should last a awhile given it is doen properly with the felpro.