Check Engine Light On before car is turned on

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
Ok fellas I did a brief search, and didn't see anything on this, and after waiting for 3yrs to get my supra back on the streets and sinking 3500 into new engine and clutch she won't start. After getting the engine put in and what not swapped out the check engine light comes on as soon as the battery is hooked up. Disconnected ignition wire and starter and still sure enough as soon as the batter is hooked up the check engine light comes on, tried to check for codes but unable to. When I hooked it back up and turned it to the on position lights go away, and when I try to start it fuels is being delivered and shes trying to start but won't fire. Any help would be appreciated, I know its a wiring issue for sure, but not sure at this point if ecu is bad, wiring harness is bad or what. Thanks to all those who can potentially solve this problem for me, I've missed my car and really could use the fun the car gave me back in my life right about now.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
If your check engine light is on with the key off, you've got a short circuit. There shouldn't be any power to that circuit with the key off.

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
Ok so its either short (meaning I probably need new harness) or my grounds aren't making good contact, which is allowing the ecu to power up long before its actually recieving relay to turn itself on. Well my electronics guy is positive it isn't a short since he eliminated the starter and ignition out of the equation by unwiring them both, would that still allow the problem to exist? You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the matter as I really know nothing when it comes to wiring.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes removing the starter and ignition out of the question still not get you anywhere.

Check the 4 groud wires and make sure they are on the intake manifold and not the starter or anything else. Takes 5 sec to check.

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
Any advice on how I would find the problem and fix it when dealing w/ a short in wire, i figured it was like people are saying theres going to be a single source for why this is happening, and not multiple sources of where problem could lie in the wiring, but again I'm no electronic guru.

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
@AJ, ya no kidding tell me about it, can anyone possibly post a pic of these 4 grounds so I can forward it to my electronics wizard, so hes got a visual aid, b/c we're both stumped and hes rdy to pass the ball on but b4 we call it quits I wanted to dbl check one last time from guys who have had more experience dealing w/ these cars.

claytonwes_2

Oct 18, 2010
sequim washington
check the ground that goes from the head to the firewall on the exhaust side. mine wasnt getting a good connection and it caused the dash lights and the check engine light light up with the key off as soon as i hooked up the battery.