Cheapest way to reach 400whp (1JZ-GTE).

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
Hello there.

I've been away from this forum, which I used to read daily... the thing is, I did my 1JZ-GTE swap into my daily driver 88 Supra (on the outside converted to 89-92), but soon after that I got married, over 5 months ago. So, my priorities have changed a lot and I even thought of selling my car. I will lose money obviously as I spent so much on this car, it was a bone stock 88 automatic N/A car when I bought it, hehehe. I just love driving my darned Supra, and it gives me no problems nowdays, really, I love to daily drive it.

But I've slacked off, I never even bothered to put in a LSD and I still have the open diff, which means a burnout will only be done with 1 tyre, I know, it's laughable! But hey, since I'm driving with my pregnant wife I never really hit the gas.

However, yesterday I wore my Supramania T-shirt and got out with it for the first time in a long while, and I felt good for my car. It's bone-stock, with stock intercoolers, and the only mods are HKS intake and Tanabe exhaust. What would be the cheapest way to reach, say, 400whp?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
From what i've read, an intake, full exhaust (turbo back) and a MBC(EBC) will yeild 300/330 to the wheels on the stock twins. Anything else will be a single turbo kit. I've also seen prices at about 1K to 2K for a complete single turbo setup. So if you call that cheap that would be the way to go :). This is the route i will be taking once my car is set and i get use to the new found power. I will stay BPU till i get bored and go single and aim for 450 to 500 WHP.

P.S. lets not forget about tuning. Its key to get your car dialed in with the correct tune :)

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
get a pair of supra TT twins and you can reach 400 rwhp. or do a steel compressor exhaust wheel upgrade or w/e on your stock twins and thats the cheapest route i can think of.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
i am interested in this. Since i am still doing the swap now and what to see how much more it will cost me for some good power to the wheels

i want like 450 - 500 WHP but want to keep a super quick twin spooling senario

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
bobiseverywhere said:
i am interested in this. Since i am still doing the swap now and what to see how much more it will cost me for some good power to the wheels

i want like 450 - 500 WHP but want to keep a super quick twin spooling senario
450 is a possibility with USDM CT12B's, but steel wheels or not, it aint happening with 12A's. Not even close to 400 as stated above

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
i am not saying the stock ct12A but going with some twin garret DBB chargers could do the trick. Im only curious if you can get a setup like that for not too much

I remember BIC was selling his whole setup but that was some good coin and he was selling it for cheap

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
bobiseverywhere said:
i am not saying the stock ct12A but going with some twin garret DBB chargers could do the trick. Im only curious if you can get a setup like that for not too much

I remember BIC was selling his whole setup but that was some good coin and he was selling it for cheap
get some flanges and build a couple log manifolds... run t25/t28s or something.. would be cheap..

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Cheep, Fast, Reliable, pick 2 because you wont get the 3rd single with a gt35r should get you where you want to be, along with full exhaust, intake.

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
I'm gonna try and max out the twins on my setup, just before I go single. I'll let you know what a BPU+++ is capable of as long as I can keep her running good.