changing turbos

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
ok so u all know i have that crazy ass looking turbo so tommrow i decide im going to swap it on as I now got my lower hardpipe in so i can out them both on at the same time. Only thing is this is my first time taking out and putting in a turbo. I though there was a write up in the faq for it but i guess not as i can't find it. Anyone want to to give me a walk threw on how to do it??? doesn't look amazingly hard so im going to do it myslef with some help from my dad.

Also one other off topic quick question, i have been hearing that there is a way to adjust or tighten the valve on the stock bov??? is this true???

thnx alot guys

-brett M.

Disco Stu

Unaturally Aspirated
Apr 6, 2005
Forth Worth
Yes it is true that the stock BYPASS valve is not adjustable. I suppose you could crush the top to compress the spring, but that is pretty ghettotacular. It took me 2.5 hours to take the turbo off the first time with no real hangups (read: stripped threads). Getting to the oil line on the bottom was the hardest part for me, I went from underneath with a long extension.

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
the oil line is very hard to get back on, the bolt has to be perfect plus there is this little crappy ring on it as some kind of gasket that is hard as hell to keep on.

that is the only thing that will be hard. other than that it is just time comsuming cause some of the bolts are hard to get to.

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
There is a write-up on this somewhere, I think Bishop may have done it? It may be on supraforums.com . I referenced that a bit when I did mine for the first time and it did help.

Some things I found important is to be sure to clean the old oil return line gasket off the block very well and replace with a new one. Also use anti-sieze where appropriate. Oh, and watch out for coolant and oil when you actually take the turbo out DOH :)

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
clean off the bolts

go to schucks and get the pb blaster all over the rusted exhaust bolts, prefferably dont drive the car for a day and just continuously spray the pb on there untill you know it has seeped intothe threads and then try undoing them. i had to pull my whole exhaust off to saw off a thread when i stripeed a rusted nut off of my stock dp.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
The turbo is easy, getting the one oil line to line back up and bolt on was a pain in the ass. I read Bishop's write up before I did mine helped me alot. Get the 14mm ratcheting wrench, it will save you alot of time.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
also remeber the car just had the whole top end redone(new hg, new head, cams, etc. etc. etc.) so IT already has all new gaskets on it and its not like the turbo has been sitting on there rusting for 15 years so hopefully that will make it easier to remove. also thnx for the write up that should help alot.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
the turbo is almost off but my god i having one hell of a time getting the oil line off. one of the 12mm bolts is impossible to get to not even god himself could get it off. Going to need a swivel or something or might try removing the oil line from the block. either way god damn though this would be easy but guess not. Me and my dad have been at it for 2 hours and still havn't gotten the turbo off yet at home to eat some supper then back to the shop to go at it again. will post pics latter. also the shaft play on both turbos seem to be the same so whatever going to put this funny looking one on and c if make more powwwwerrrr!!!!!1111

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
doom26464 said:
the turbo is almost off but my god i having one hell of a time getting the oil line off. one of the 12mm bolts is impossible to get to not even god himself could get it off. Going to need a swivel or something or might try removing the oil line from the block. either way god damn though this would be easy but guess not. Me and my dad have been at it for 2 hours and still havn't gotten the turbo off yet at home to eat some supper then back to the shop to go at it again. will post pics latter. also the shaft play on both turbos seem to be the same so whatever going to put this funny looking one on and c if make more powwwwerrrr!!!!!1111

dude...you shouldnt need much tools wise...

pull off the elbow and dp... get them out of the way... then reach under and with a deepsocket 12mm on an extension and a socket wrench and just use your right hand to hold the ratchet and your left around the side to feel for the nuts on the studs.... easy as cake...

im actually changing mine too but im doing a few minor things so its taking a little longer...but the turbo itself i had off in about 20 minutes....

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
for the block-side oil line bolt (or nut), I found it much easier to use a bunch of extensions from the bottom and a SHALLOW socket, as a deep socket runs into the oil line, and won't seat on the nut (or bolt head) use the shallow.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
ok went out and bought a swivel and got the turbo off. ended up putting it all back together and then started up the car. It was running good and all but then went to look under car and *gasp* huge puddle of oil so i shut it off quickly. I find that my oil is leaking from the oil line. So i once again go and take everything off again and find that the gasket i used was the old gasket from the ebay/crazzy turbo and it was like mush u could like chip it off with a screw driver. SO i went and got my brand new gasket wich had been hardly used on my other turbo and am Going to put that on tommrow as it took me nearly 6 hours to do all this and I need rest and food. Tommrow I will put the new gasket on and reassemble it again and give it another shot.

Ohhh also I painted my brake calipers red at the same time here are some pics:
855649_53_full.jpg

855649_54_full.jpg

855649_55_full.jpg

855649_56_full.jpg

855649_57_full.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
get some jackstands! supporting a 3500lb car on wood blocks is a BAD idea!!! :(

-shaeff

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
well finally got it all together. IT runs good and pulls amazingly stronger. But also there was a rather big boost leak before as it used to make a loud woosh noises and now has more of a wistle to it. I also quickly sprayed the engine bay down becuases I spilled a bit of anti-freeze NOT A GOOD IDEA! It was missing bad but after the engine warmed up that problem went away. but then My battery, ebrake light, and tail light where on. They would liek flicker at moments and thenm disappere the re appear. So i drove around for like an hour so the engine bay could get nice and hot so it could evaporate all the water out and then that problem finally went away. But this new turbo seems to have more power as I can almsot spin the tires in 2nd now lol. The new rims and painted brake calipers defently make the car look sweet too.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
doom26464 said:
But this new turbo seems to have more power as I can almsot spin the tires in 2nd now lol.

Theres something about that statement that made me smile, lol... :icon_bigg

Glad the new turbo is working out for you... It was a great deal for ya... Congrats bro...