Changing out Stock 1JZ twins

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
ok guys so the twins on my 1J gave up and im wanting to replace it with another set thats fully rebuilt..how hard is this process?
any suggestions....please i dont want to go single yet...i want everything stock so far. feel free to give a positive input. thanks in advance.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's a giant pain in the ass. I did it on a lift so I could only imagine doing it on the ground.

I have abs and had to lift the motor up and move and lines out of the way to get the back bolt for turbo inlet.

Hate to say it but single is so much easier.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you want to keep the twins, I would suggest getting a set from Albert. When they arrive, pull your engine (trust me here, it will be quicker, and done with a lot less headache), and swap your turbos out easily. ;)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I'm sure that it's easier with it out but I had them out in prolly the same time or less the motor would have came out. The worst part is the back bolts and the back bottom exhaust manifold nuts.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Buy a set of stubby wrenches and ratchet wrenches. If I remember right, they were a big help.

Also, be prepared to curse at the six nuts that hold the turbos to the manifolds. They were sofa king tight on my car I almost ripped a tendon loosening them.

Don't take the turbos to any old turbo shop to be rebuilt, and don't buy the kits on ebay. People have had nothing but bad results. There are a few turbo shops in the UK that have rebuilt these successfully, and I think Albert did too (but if I recall he said it was very difficult).

As badly as I wanted to keep my twins, I settled for a small single turbo. If you size it right you can get faster than stock spool and better power. Something like a GT3071R with a conservative turbine a/r.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
Pull it out... i wouldn't wish pulling the twin with the motor still installed on anyone... I too recommend a rebuilt upgraded set of bolt on twins from albert...

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
You an send them in for a normal rebuild. Or go with steel shafts and a gt2860rs compressor wheel

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
shipkiller;1854138 said:
is there any gain in porting the stock manifolds (1jz) or it is almost worthless

Faster spooling. Im almost done gathering all my parts and will be pulling my twins as soon as I get a chance. The plan is to port the stock mani as much as possible :) then put on my twin k26s..

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Haha ya is not much fun to do. 3 of us did mine in the drive way. With a engine puller and it was still a bitch. If I had a second chance I would just pull the motor to keep all the cuss words form coming out lol. But of you do pull it in the engine bay make sure to get a thread chaser for your exhaust studs.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
shipkiller;1854138 said:
is there any gain in porting the stock manifolds (1jz) or it is almost worthless
Depends on what you call worthless... I imagine that you would go through a few bits for the grinder at the least.

I can say that porting the head makes a nice difference. ;)

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
I know i have an SC, but i've swapped turbos on mine a few too many times that i can get a set in and out in about 6 hrs. One big pain is getting the rear turbo inlet bolts out and in (having to line up the inlet gasket almost blind is a bitch). The other pain are the nuts on the turbo exhaust housing and the manifold. A big wrench and some rust penetrant should do the trick. The last big pain are the nuts holding the y-pipe exhaust on. A few nuts you can loosen on the car, but there are a few you need to loosen with the turbos off the car. A bench vice helps a LOT in this case as i couldn't get any leverage on the nuts without it. good luck!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The SC is also fortunate to have a longer engine bay, things are a bit cramped in the Mk3. ;)