changing fuel pump

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Unless you want to cut a hole in the trunk panel then yes. Its really not that bad as long as nothing is rusted.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I made my own easy access panel :) just cut a square hole and got a piece of sheet metal and some screws used a drill to install and wala!

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I've pulled the access panel to pull the sender before but didn't really look around when I was in there. No need for pictures then, I will just go look and figure it out if it's visible. Thanks for the help!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Mr Bojangles;1804160 said:
I've pulled the access panel to pull the sender before but didn't really look around when I was in there. No need for pictures then, I will just go look and figure it out if it's visible. Thanks for the help!

I used a Grinder and a Dremel tool

erics3000

Mar 2, 2008
Florida
i THOUGHT THAT WHAT THE ACCESS PANEL WAS FOR. i MIGHT NEED TO CHANGE MY PUMP FROM SITTING AND DONT REMEMBER PULLING DOWN THE TANK..HUMMM

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
erics3000;1804172 said:
i THOUGHT THAT WHAT THE ACCESS PANEL WAS FOR. i MIGHT NEED TO CHANGE MY PUMP FROM SITTING AND DONT REMEMBER PULLING DOWN THE TANK..HUMMM

Caps lock stuck much? ;) The stock access panel is just to disconnect the wiring before dropping the tank.

erics3000

Mar 2, 2008
Florida
Caps Issue...Yeah I do that sometimes. Funny because a little bit back a moderator was busting my webos saying why am I act childish screaming in a reply to him.. I didn't reply which was probably for the best.

It turned out being a loose wire to the cam sensor. I would have replied sooner I just didn't get a email that anyone replied to the thread. I need to fix that in my settings. Thank you guys for your help.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I'm scared shitless of doing this job when my stock fuel pump dies. Funny thing though, it just won't die. It just keeps going. Still running the original fuel pump from 1989 (with 300,000KM and counting...FML)

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
To drop the tank unplug the sending unit and the pump and through the access panel...

Undo the fuel line from the filter(I have found that was the easiest for me)

and undo the 2strapps holding it up (from the front... They hinge in back)

I did 2 this week it's real simple... Just unscrew the thing inside the fuel door before you put the tank back up... Makes it easier to get the fill line in with it off

For me that was way easier than cutting an access panel (unless your car is rusted together)

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I say take the tank down and do it the right way. Once you start doing short cuts and half a## doing things where does it end. Heck why run premium fuel? Regular is cheaper. Right.

Plus it is alot easier to change the fuel filter with the tank out.

Last edited: