Changing from normal to synthetic

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
jetjock said:
Thanks Jay. We'll see. I'm conflicted between helping those who need help, suffering those who're beyond help, and sparring with those who know enough to be dangerous. It all depends on how the balance shifts from one day to the next. Not to mention this pompous ass doesn't have a lot of time these days.

Proves if there is a God he must have a sense of humor.

I'm sure you are a very busy man. Probably desinging rockets for Nasa, or flying new secret war weapons or something like that.............:biglaugh:
It's still good to see you posting on here from time to time. There is alot more OT than technical threads started here daily, and I know that's not your cup of tea, but every now and then we need some more brain power to equal out the brainless that post on here, meaning me of course.

........as for the second part I quoted.........that's a can of worms we don't want to get opened up again......................:biglaugh:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Good to see you back, JJ.

I'm running an Amsoil Ea filter in my Subaru as we speak. I'll crack it open when it's time to replace it and post up some pictures of what the interior looks like. It's a heavy little bugger though, I'd say it outweighs a typical Fram by 2x, so that says something about the media and build quality of it.
They claim 20,000mi+ on them, but I'm gonna change it at 10k and inspect the filter media.
That, coupled with Mobil Delvac1 has proven itself, even though my Subaru recently died of bad compression resulting in blowby and thus, popping out seals... I'd say a daily relentless beating with 230,000mi on the clock was about it's time, and even then, it wasn't the bearings that went....
I predict the "new" engine with 86k on it should last a loooooong time.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Jay: I wish. I'm just a lowly bus driver who used to design machines for a living. Granted, they were pretty fancy machines compared to 80's cars, but I'm far from a whiz on most things. I do confess to being a philomath though. Might even make it to polymath one day ;)

Supra90: I see you're a man who knows oil. Delvac 1 is good stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
To get JJ back, you just need to make a post about running 50W90 Synthetic and ask if that is too thin, will cause leaks, and if you should change it at 1k intervals or extend it out to 2k! :biglaugh: