changed shells, got some trouble now :(

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
hey guys,

i've ran my 2j in my old 89 shell (originally na manual) with no problems, but now that i switched to my new 86.5 shell (originally na auto), i'm having trouble with the tranny.

i know people said (from all the searching i did) that an auto-->manual conversion is easy, no cutting required, nothing special, but that doesn't apply to me. firstly, the tranny hit and dented the tranny tunnel (part where the shifter bolts in). so i cut that out a bit.

2nd part, the shifter appeared to not be in the center of the hole, it's closer to the drivers side. upon closer inspection, i see that the hole is not in the center of the tranny tunnel, it is offset towards the passenger side (measured distance from bolt holes to edge of "hump", about 3/8" closer to passenger side)

3rd part, my shifter boot (rubber) does not match the bolt pattern on the car. do i have to drill and tap for a new bolt pattern?

thanks

p.s. like i said, i did search, and found nothing pertaining to my situation, hence why i asked. i thought auto-->manual conversions were easy, this is bullshit.

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
ah, ok. so it's just the bolt patten that i should worried about? all i have to do is drill and tap the new pattern and everything else should be fine?

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
yeah, i was thinking that too.........nutserts i haven't heard of, i'll google them.

thanks for the input!