Change spark plugs..

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Is there a writeup on plug changes.?

How hard is it to change the plugs in this 7mgte. I have not done it but want to. I hear there are 1 or 2 that require some other parts have to come off... are there any gaskets that need to be replaced or when you change the plugs is there something else that you should do because you are takeing apart some parts anyway..

thanks!

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Ive done it on a 7m-GE and its not too hard. Just time consuming as stated above.

Take a picture in high res of the engine bay and note the vac lines off the 3000 pipe so you can hook it back up.

I have a place where there is a write up but its apperentally down... So I cant link to it for you at the moment!

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Well, talking to a guy that owned a 3000GT...

I would say that changing spark plugs on the 7MGTE is probably one of the easiest jobs ever.

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Just try to change the plugs on a fwd v6 camry/lexus es. I would rather be raped than tackle that job. Or the plugs on a wrx, you have to drop an axle from what I hear.

Whilst you have everything off, nows also a good time to change the valve cover gaskets as, with age, they will leak oil into the spark plug galley, upgrade the screws that hold the valve cover gaskets down to hex bolts, and if you also want to drop in a tablespoon or two of seafoam into the cylinders to clean out the carbon buildup.

But hey, thats just me.

LexingtonBlue

May 30, 2005
Tacoma
I've changed it on the 7m-gte many times and I only needed to take off the throttle cable linkage (above the 5-6 plugs), and the coil pack, and leave the 3000 pipe untouched.
Tools used: socket extension that allows you to work at an angle, spark plug socket, magnet pointer.

The 3000 pipe and the aluminum (vaccum?) pipe that connects to throttle body does not cover #4 plug totally, and that's when the extension comes in handy the most.

If you're going to take out the 3000 pipe, then I'd also suggest that you double check any electrical wires for wear/breakage, especially at the connector side. Use one of the bigger phillips screwdriver to tighten down those screws that holds down the valve covers. This can be done after following all the other suggestions from other members.

Last but not least. Since you're there, you might want to replace this to make it look nice:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=270023338606&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT

:naughty:

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i can change all 6 plugs in 17mins... that is my record.. it's super easy

remember we have aluimium head.. go easy on the torque... no more than 12 ft. lbs