Chad's Cursed 7M Noob (Re)Build....Finally....

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Alright (wait, I'm in teh Bay, make that "Aight") so I've been envying all you guys with nice build threads, taking out your engines and tearing them apart and such, all these crazy complicated things I know nothing about. Well, if you're on these boards much you've prolly heard me whining about my recent problems (BHG, rodknock promptly thereafter). Bad rodknock. Very bad.

So, I've decided to dive in and and tear apart my engine myself. We had a mechanic pull the engine (he will put it back in), and he'll be letting me use his shop space to do the work. Basically, we're pulling every last part off the block and getting everything in perfect condition, complete rebuild. The mechanic will be around to help out in a pinch, but its going to be mostly me and my grandpa. And, of course, you. Expect plenty of questions ;)

My grandpa will be helping me too, he has some basic engine experience but neither of us have done anything remotely like this. Well, after the mechanic pulled the engine it sat under a stupid berry tree and was a total disaster (I hate dirty cars), so we just got it towed (finally!) to my grandpa's house, I washed and waxed it, covered it, and now its in its "storage", hopefully not for too long...

Pics will be in the next post, not to much to see right now though.

Here is my list of materials, all planned to buy from HorsepowerFreaks cuz of their AWESOME service and prices (HPF FTW!!!)
I know I am missing some of the smaller items, like bearings and such. I'll be consulting with my mechanic on some of those things, depending on what the engine looks like. Also, the MHG height is obviously not known yet, I'm just estimating. I know, I know, I won't be buying till we talk to the machinist after he's done my block.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Pics will be in the next post, not to much to see right now though.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Soooo, here's the pictures of my baby...

First up-engine/tranny
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Before the wax:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Crappy leather seats (If anyone has blue leather power 89+ seats that they wanna donate....:p Jay, I'm talking to you! :biglaugh:)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sigh...Center Stack looks a bit different....and how do I change gears now?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I think something goes here....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After a good scrub and some cleaner wax:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I think I need lower front springs :p
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
Love the white on white, nice and clean!

Good luck with the rest of your build. Don't forget to have the oil squirter springs replaced ~$35 from Champion Toyota (it will help with the 7m oil pressure issues). I'm not sure exactly what your machinest is doing, but the $500 estimate seems a little low.

And get in that engine bay with some strong cleaner, it makes a world of difference when you put the shiny new engine back in. Also this is good time to replace the PS lines (especially if they are leaking) and the PS rack rubber bushings (Suprasport sells some poly ones or you could go stock, this also makes a big difference in the feel, if your old ones are worn out).

I have no idea what your total budget is going to be for this project, but just remember that it is not how much money you put into this car; it is how much enjoyment you get out of it. And that it is much easier to do alot of things now while the engine/trans is out of the car, your labor is free it only costs you time and you learn while you go.

Best of luck,
Matt