ceramic coatings by Jdub

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Boys and girls-

If you were ever thinking about having some parts coated, look no further than Jdub - he did an incredible job on the stuff I've sent him (with more to be done). I posted an A+ in the buyers/sellers forum with pics, but I wanted to post in here so everyone else could see...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=487271&postcount=1

the pics are a little big, but it gives you a better idea of what to expect.

Again, many thanks to Jdub for an excellent job.

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
I would second that!
Jdub has coated several items for me and all have turned out exceptional!

Under promise, over deliver seems to be how John operates.

Matt

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Hey Jdub! Beautiful work :)
So just so we have a basic idea, what's your average pricing?
Or do you prefer to do pricing personally, on a job-to-job basis? if so I'll PM you, But i have same parts that i think would really benefit from a good coating, I'd like to get my DDP coated but don't know if i wanna bother shipping that. But definites would be exhaust mani (you do the bead blasting necessary, correct?), heat shields, thermostat housing (front and back), what about coating a alternator shell? Or a water pump? that would look good :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Thanks...been doing 7M parts for a long time now ;)

You're correct...the most benefit is doing exhaust items. I want to tell you though, the heat produced will turn downpipes, exhaust manifolds and turbine housings a titanium gray. Doesn't affect the thermal properties of the ceramic, but my supplier upped the titanium content of the coating to meet a mil-spec and it doesn't stay the pretty chrome look anymore. It's actually better heat wise and it doesn't look bad at all....I coat these parts on the inside too for max effect. Everything else (including heat shields) will stay nice and shiny.

Cant do a water pump...got rubber parts inside and the bake-on will melt them. If the alternator shell is completely disassembled and no plastic/rubber parts...yes I can coat it. And yes, I bead blast everything to prep the surface.

PM me for what you want done and I'll give you a quote....everything is done with a 2000 deg rated coating.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
jdub said:
I want to tell you though, the heat produced will turn downpipes, exhaust manifolds and turbine housings a titanium gray. Doesn't affect the thermal properties of the ceramic, but my supplier upped the titanium content of the coating to meet a mil-spec and it doesn't stay the pretty chrome look anymore. It's actually better heat wise and it doesn't look bad at all....

I'm definitely more concerned with the thermal properties than the bling :)
Performance comes first! I'll gather some parts and shoot you a pm in a coupla days!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
87_7MGTE said:
jdub, can you coat used parts (i.e. exhaust mani, dp, turbo exhaust housing)? if so, how do i prep them, or do you prep them?

Oh yes...that's pretty much all I do ;)
They come out looking brand new, but a couple of words on the parts. All fittings, nuts, bolts, etc need to be removed. I would appreciate getting as much oil/grease off as possible...doesn't have to be perfect, but that clogs up my blaster. Get old gaskets off best you can without damaging the flange. I grind the casting seams off things like the top of an upper intake manifold and will straighten heat shields out best I can.

On exhaust manifolds, look closely for cracks...on an old style one (no reinforcing ridges on the runners), it's very common for a crack to be between the runners or below the turbo flange. That pretty much trashes the manifold. A crack on the flange itself will depend on where it is and if it's an old style or later reinforced version. CT26 turbine housings are in the same boat...they often crack inside toward the "snail" side...that makes the housing useless. Cracks around the wastegate hole is less of a factor.