CB radio in a supra

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, GA
i just put a new Cb radio in my supra, i have always wanted a CB since before i even got my license, it is a nice radio, a cobra 25 LTD classic, it works pretty well but me and my friend are gonna talk to his sister who used to be a trucker on how to properly use it. just getting opinions but what do ya'll think of a supra with a CB? i think it kinda has that smokey and the bandit feel, it isnt fully hooked up yet but once i get it all mounted i will try and get some pics for everyone to see. but just wanting to get some opinions and what not. thanks.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
Back in the day we had CB handles instead of cell phones. My friends and I would talk on the radios on the way to and from school. My first car was a 78 Celica (Supra Mk zero?). I was handed it down from my sister. It of course had a CB radio, an eight track player (pioneer), and a PA speaker hooked to the cb so we could cuss out other drivers and minorities going down the road. We were such asses.

It even had a red and black firebird sticker over the hood. The wings tips went all the way to the winshield and the tail came down to the front lip edge of the hood. Damn fine cruizer. Smokey and the bandit was real popular back then in 1978. I traded that car in 1991 along with $14,000 for my 90T that had 17K on it so i have a happy ending.

Keep on truckin,

Hal

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I took mine out recently, as it got in my way, that and when my little brother was younger he used to get on the PA and yell at people who were going slower than us. Ahh good times. Might one day put it back in.....maybe

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
There was nothing better when we used to travel to distant meets all the time. Cell phones can't hold a candle to 10-15 CB's in a convoy of supras rolling down the interstate!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I used to have a Base in my house. It was an oldschool Realistic if I remember correctly. Full of vacuum tubes. Had a power mic on that thing, too. It was awesome. I used to talk to all the truckers when I was in elementary school. :)

My handle was Bones- my dad used to call me that because I was super-skinny when I was a youngster. (not that I'm old now, lol)

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
yea i have always wanted one and i have read about them to get as much info as i could before i jumped into it, i am trying to find a sleek place to mount it, possibly in the glove box? but i gotta take into account the internal speaker so i gotta be able to here that, but yea my dad actually used to have his CDL so he knows a little about them so he is gonna help me out, but i always loved that era when CB's were the way to comunicate.

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
sm_photo_missing.jpg

here is a pic of the unit, the coolest part is i got it for free! all it needed was a power cord but i went to the flying j and bought one for 3 bucks and it works great.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I'm also a fan of CB's while driving on the interstate. (Talking on the CB helps keep you awake on long drives, and a CB + truckers are the best radar detector I've ever seen). ;)

I can't stand a "normal" CB which is usually mounted in plain site either on or under the dash; so my preference of CB's is the Cobra CB-75WXST. The CB unit can be concealed under a seat or behind the dash, and all of the controls (and the unit's speaker) are on the handset itself.

COBRA&

With this CB, you can have a CB in the vehicle without making it a complete eyesore. Not to mention, when it's not in use, it's very easy to hide the handset under the seat or something; and no one has any clue that there's a CB in the car. When it's in use, this is all you'd ever see. (Image "borrowed" from the internet, but you get the idea).

cb07.jpg

Couple this CB with a discrete glass mount antenna, and hardly anyone would suspect you have a CB in your car. Something like this really aids in a stealth install, which is my personal preference; and by keeping it stealthy, it also helps to prevent it from getting stolen. (You can't take what you can't see). :)

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
They were ahead of their time! Like a rolling chat room! My son recently put one in his 4x4. So all of his buddies could "yak" while out in the mud and such....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
There's a very small Cobra unit available that would likely fit in the ash tray location... I forget which one it is.