causes of turbo axial play

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
hey i currently have a Holset He351cw on my built 7m. it boosts fine no problems but whenever i do a WOT pull then let off the gas, when i give it throttle again it blows a cloud of sometimes blue and sometimes white/gray smoke. I know it is not the engine, done a few tests on it. There is NO oil in the intake of the turbo ever and i have a free flowing intake. However the turbo has axial play, way more than it ever needs to be. It was not like this when I put it on and i am wondering what would cause it? I am running -4an feed line with a restrictor right at the turbo(i cant remember the restrictor size right now but ill figure it out) and a -10 drian going straight down. The turbo was rebuilt by me ~4,000 miles ago and i have rebuilt 2 ct26's that held up no problems. i did not get it balanced but i marked the compressor and shaft and put it back on in the same spot. Thanks.

PS: radial play is in the normal range.

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
haha maybe but i thought it would be alright if it goes back the exact same. is there anything else that would cause problems?

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
ok well i guess everyone thinks it was the balancing that was the problem. i called a turbo shop and they said it would be ~$250 to rebuild it. but i can get a rebuild kit for ~$90 and rebuild it myself then take it to them to get balanced for $35-40. would that work ok?