Catch can is this correct???

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Ok guys, I recently installed an oil catch can. I ran one hose from my valve covers into one end of catch can the other end of catch can i ran a hose from the catch can to the intake, that hose was also teed and hooked into the throttle body as well I want to know if this is the correct method of plumbing, some people on here indicated it was but I kinda want to double check.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Correct, but im confused about the T-form the TB.

It should be from right to left (looking at the engine) TB to Valve covers to Catch can to intake. Catch can should be in a COOL place.

There is a better was to do this if you have a second catch but not really that necessary.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^ahhh thats what i was trying to think of...cool, now i know. I have two catch cans from JEGS sitting here ready to be installed once i get hose :) Having trouble finding a T-adapter. Preferably i'd like a Y-adapter, 1x5/8" and 2x3/8". Any ideas where to find that?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
A key function of the PCV system is to extract combustion byproduct gases, including a large amount of water vapor. With the exception of racing applications, you need a vacuum based system to avoid this. (By the way this is a 1MZ with 8700 miles on it, that's right 8700!)

Attachments

• cover_off.jpg
    cover_off.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 57

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That engine is known for that. Causes? Contaminates in the oil from combustion...water vapor is the primary culprit. A working PCV system is designed to get rid of combustion byproducts, but if it is not functioning correctly (i.e. under vac) an emulsion can result a lot like what you see with a BHG. Combined with the higher operating temps some engines (like the 1MZ), that emulsion can polymerize with the results in that pic.

Now you know why I harp on guys that put filters on their cam covers or getto rig a catch can install. The 7M and JZ series motors are not as prone to sludge, but if you keep "mod'ing" and don't think about what you are doing...well you get the idea. At minimum you are not doing the oil any good.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
If you cap the tb port your oil in the pan will come out of the dipsticl under boost. I was checking for boost leak when I found that out. I hear boost leak at the hose coming out the tb post so I plug it. Couple seconds later I saw oil pushing my dipstick out.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Fletch124;1357703 said:
The TB side of my PCV system was always capped when I had a 7m.

Good for you. Congratulations on getting away with a PCV system that basically didn't work.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Wills7MGTE;1358089 said:
I mounted mine in a cool place I believe, over between the brake booster and the fender wall on the driver side, couldn't find any good spots any cooler.

Mine is mounted in the back corner near the wiper motor, and gets some heat from the turbo. But it still works 100% since I put the stainless wool and bottom hose in it.