Catalytic converter CA smog problems. HELP!

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
hey guys, i have a 7MGTE 5 speed 87 supra..ive pretty much done everything i can to the car besides rebuild the engine to restore it back to factory running condition. now i have a new problem..i took my car to go get smogged and the guy said i have high Nox emissions around 1100. the mechanic told me i needed a new catalytic converter. anyone have any advice as to what my options are? i talked to some people that work on su pras around here..one said to go with the OEM catalytic converter because the aftermarket ones suck and you wont pass smog..but the other said aftermarket ones are fine. so far i found a 50 state legal magnaflow cat for like 120 which doesnt seem as bad as the 600 it costs for a OEM one form toyota. i dont care about a high flow cat i just want my car to pass smog, any advice is greatly appreciated! THANKS!

John

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
well they checked the timing and the egr said its fine..told me it should be the cat. just curious on advice on the best way to obtain a cat or a specific site to get it from

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
You are not listening. There is a high probability you are going to buy a cat you don't need or want. Spend $39 for a pretest and get the numbers, if your uncle's friend won't give them to you.