Castrol Edge

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
Orlando, Florida, United States
I was reading about oil and filters over the past 2 or 3 days and everyone on here seems to prefer German Castrol 0w30. What do u think about the new Castrol Edge? the site recommends Castrol Edge 10w60. i dont want to put anything thicker that 30w cause i just got my engine rebuilt. has anyone used or heard anything bout Castrol Edge?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
From what info I can gather, Castrol Edge USA and Castrol Edge UK (the link the OP provided) are different base stocks:

Edge USA MSD:
Castrol Edge 5W-30 - US

Edge UK SDS:
Castrol Edge 5W-30 - UK

For a straight comparison, both safety sheets are for the 5W-30 version. Note that US Edge MSD lists composition as "Base oil - Highly refined - 90-95%". This leads me to believe that the US version of this oil is much the same as most other "synthetics" sold in the US...base stock = Grp III hydrocracked dino oil.

The UK SDS lists composition as "Synthetic base stock. Chemically modified base oil. Proprietary performance additives." Likely a Grp IV PAO similar to the German Castrol sold here in the US. This product replaces Castrol RS.

FYI - German Castrol 0W-30 is a Grp IV PAO base stock.

The Edge product is fairly new here in the US and has been hyped pretty hard with the "Think with your dipstick" commericals on TV. Castrol is taking direct aim at Mobil 1 (another Grp III oil) by saying it has "8X better wear protection than Mobil 1". Of course, this is using Castrol testing. User oil analysis will tell the real story...right now there are slim-to-none of those available. The only ones I could come up with are from the UK and Australia and are not valid due to the differences in base stock.

Castrol Edge is only available in 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades in the US for now. Here is the data sheet for Edge US.
Castrol Edge Data Sheet

This oil is fairly thin for a 30W multigrade...both the 5W and 10W-30 have a viscosity of 9.8 cst at an ops temp of 100 deg C. That is getting toward the bottom of the range for a 30W. Both have excellent cold start viscosities of 54.2 cst and 60.5 cst respectively. That is not surprising considering how the oil thins as it gets up to ops temp. In a 7M or JZ series motor, you may hear more pronounced valve train noise with this oil due to it's relatively thin ops temp viscosity...I experienced it using Amsoil 2000 0W-30 oil (also relatively thin at ops temp). You'll have to try it and see. Based on pricing I've seen, it sells at a premium compared to other Grp III oils available...i.e. Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum. Is it worth it? Not enough data to answer that question just yet.

To the OP: Read the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig for info concerning what weight oil to use. The cliffs version: For 90% of the motors you want the lowest 1st number and a "30" 2nd number...i.e a 0W or 5W-30 oil. There are additional threads on this in the Lube section. My choice for Castrol Edge would be the 5W-30 version. Basically the same viscosity as the 10W-30, but a lower cold start viscosity.

I moved this to the proper section for further discussion.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...the Edge version sold in other countries is a PAO. In the USA, we have to sort through the BS to find out what "synthetic" really means.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I'm useing the castrol edge 5w-30 and it's runny as water, lol. The motor is pretty fresh so no noisy lifters but only time will tell how well it performs.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
SpecialK;1330849 said:
according to the castrol edge website, the oils sold in the US contains PAO
http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/faq

Excellent find for another piece of the puzzle, but you have to be careful with the way the corporate bastards in the US word the FAQ:

Castrol Edge FAQ - Does Castrol Edge contain polyalphaolefins? said:
Castrol Edge is made from a proprietary combination of base oils, which includes PAO

Castrol Edge MSD said:
Base oil - Highly refined - 90-95%.

Castrol Edge may indeed contain PAO, but the question is how much? The BS a motor oil producer spews out on their oil products can only be carried so far in a MSD, otherwise they get in a huge vat of hot water with the government. In this case, the MSD lists the base oil as "highly refined"...that leads me to believe that the PAO in the oil is an additive to meet specification. Per the FAQ:

Castrol Edge FAQ - How is Castrol Edge Different? said:
Different base oils including PAO (polyalphaolefins) which helps Castro Edge meet the GM4718M specification.

If I were a betting man, 90% of Castrol Edge is a highly refined Grp III hydrocracked base oil...the remaining 10% is additive, including PAO. This does not mean that Castrol Edge is a poor oil...on the contrary, it could be an excellent formulation that could rival Pennzoil Platinum (another excellent Grp III). Only time will tell....right now with all the hype and the relatively high cost of this Edge, I'm going to stick with a proven product.