Castrol Edge RS...The Best Oil on the Market?

dude - if you really want the GOOD shit - and I'm talking about Castrol RS 10W60 - hit me up ... I'm just checking with some suppliers in Austria and I might ship ~100 bottles over :)

you will NOT find anything better than that... I used in in X 7MGTEs and also in my 2JZ ...

I don't know if we can get a GB going but lets see whats going on - I'll gauge interest for sure ;)

Mat

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Matce said:
dude - if you really want the GOOD shit - and I'm talking about Castrol RS 10W60 - hit me up ... I'm just checking with some suppliers in Austria and I might ship ~100 bottles over :)

you will NOT find anything better than that... I used in X 7MGTEs and also in my 2JZ ...

I don't know if we can get a GB going but lets see whats going on - I'll gauge interest for sure ;)

Mat

Care to back that up?
How about a data sheet on the oil? What base stock is used in the oil? Have you had analysis done on the oil over time showing the wear metals and how the oil holds up?

For most engines, the motor has to be built to handle an oil that thick...extensive modifications to the oil system due to the decreased flow an oil that thick causes. Read this:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41775

And this...ALL of it:

http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/

I've beat this to death...thick oil is not good for your motor. You may "feel" this is "good shit", but all you're doing is displaying your ignorance concerning how oil actually works to lubricate your motor. FYI - to get a viscosity spread that wide, that oil would require expensive viscosity modifiers...that reduces the actual amount of lubricant the oil contains by volume. Guess what, viscosity modifiers are the 1st thing broken down by engine heat cycles...the oil will migrate back to the viscosity range of the base stock oil. Might be ok for a race car (where they change every race)...not for 95% of the cars driven on the street though...unless you built it to handle the high viscosity.

Come in this section, you best be prepared to provide some facts...not hearsay, not opinion. You want to help your engine? Run an oil that is thin as possible at cold start and will give you 10 psi of pressure per 1000 rpm.

jetjock said:

Yep...here we go again. Would ya hand me my shovel JJ ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...and an accumulator with -10 lines ;)

In all fairness, Castrol RS is an excellent oil...it's actually very similar to GC in formulation (the 10W-60 is too thick though). I want Matce to tell me why he thinks it's better than the rest. Along the lines of this thread:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38768

Especially why a 10W-60 is better ;)

hey :)

well - honestly - I used that oil in EVERY 7MGTE we built - and I personally know about 50+ people which are running that oil on a daily basis (from stock 7M to 500HP+) ... but not in the US - in Austria and Germany.

I used to drive Ferraris, BMW M's, Lambos, etc - EVERY SINGLE CAR hat RS 10-60 in it and I've NEVER had any single problem :)

I'll try to post up a sheet about the oil... but -> well... if you don't like it, don't buy it... I just tried to share something good with the community.

I'll run that oil in my built 7Ms and my built 2JZ - no matter what you do :)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Matce said:
hey :)

well - honestly - I used that oil in EVERY 7MGTE we built - and I personally know about 50+ people which are running that oil on a daily basis (from stock 7M to 500HP+) ... but not in the US - in Austria and Germany.

I used to drive Ferraris, BMW M's, Lambos, etc - EVERY SINGLE CAR hat RS 10-60 in it and I've NEVER had any single problem :)

I'll try to post up a sheet about the oil... but -> well... if you don't like it, don't buy it... I just tried to share something good with the community.

I'll run that oil in my built 7Ms and my built 2JZ - no matter what you do :)

I see you didn't read the thread links...doesn't surprise me. Dr Haas has both an Lambo Murcielago and Ferrari Enzo...care to guess what weight oil he uses? He's using a 0W-20 in the Lambo and 0W-30 in the Ferrari...the man knows far more about oil than you could ever hope to. Why does he use those oils? Because of the flow characteristics of those weights...both with outstanding results, based on a very comprensive oil analysis program for each car.

I've already looked at the Castrol Edge RS 10W-60 data sheet...it has a viscosity of 176 cst at 40 deg C and 28 cst at 100 deg C. That's 3 times the viscosity cold and twice the viscosity at ops temp compared to your typical 0W or 5W-30 oil. Considering the 7M, 1JZ, and 2JZ engines were designed to run an oil at 10-12 cst at ops temp, you are effectively cutting the flow of oil to your bearings through a stock oil system. Ferrari engines are designed with a 10W-60 in mind...the motor can easily handle it. But, Dr Haas has demonstrated (very thoroughly) that a Ferrari engine will run with great results on a 0W-30.

Basically you base your assertion on pure opinion...nothing of any substance to back it up. The fact you use it means absolutely nothing...no knowledge of the data sheet, no wear analysis, nothing based on fact...not even any reasoning why it would be "good" for your engine. Anyone that buys this oil based on what you have to say is going on pure hearsay...and your opinion is completely incorrect...in fact it vividly displays your ignorance of how oil really works in a modern engine. The only people that want to use this oil better have a well thought out and highly modified oil system. Otherwise, you will hurt the motor far more than benefiting it.

Go ahead and run it...ignorance is bliss after all ;)
And that goes for your 50+ friends in Austria and Germany too.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...and Ian you're the guy I'm thinking about when I say "well thought out and highly modified oil system"...not to mention the rest of the car! ;)