Cars you can bank on...86-92 Supra

sluggo42

Aug 9, 2007
Socal
In my local newspaper this morning is an article called "Cars you can bank on"
It's written by Larry Printz in the Virinian Pilot in Norfolk Va. I'm in Socal, reading it in the Ventura Co Star.

He says the 86-92 is a car that people are going to want to have. It has a rep as a well-built and sexy car in it's own way. The styling stands up to time, relatively forgotten, and you haven't seen many of them at all, but beware. Many are rusted or all used up. You'll have to look for the little old lady one, but they are out there, and turbos back then were quite fragile, more so than today.
Price: $1,625 - $7,200

Since my stock black and perfect 91 is sweet, it must be worth $7K ?

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
everybody underates the value of our cars so much it sickens me.

If the enthusiests underate the cars, then that's what they are worth... Personally, if my car is worth say $10,000 to me, I won't accept any less, and if I don't get that much for it I will just keep it in storage.

In order for our supras to be worth any money we have to start holding onto them, and try to get what we want for them.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Now that PINKS has aired one of our cars kicking ass.. The value has gone up and will keep going up.. Pinks will rerun it alot im sure.. And im sure its going to be one of the most requested showes to rerun.

Will take a year or so but the value will def start climbing and climbing hard.. Hang on to what you have..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A Car is only worth what someone will actually give you for it......

Look at that 70 with the trispoke Advans I'm sure he thought $14k was an easy get as he has so much $$$ in it...

No one is prepared to give him $14k so it's going down and might end up being parted.

I have a HUGE amount of $$$ in my car no way known would I ever get anything even near it's "value" unless someone had to have that car and didn't care about the price.

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
HommerSimpson;973373 said:
Now that PINKS has aired one of our cars kicking ass.. The value has gone up and will keep going up.. Pinks will rerun it alot im sure.. And im sure its going to be one of the most requested showes to rerun.

Will take a year or so but the value will def start climbing and climbing hard.. Hang on to what you have..

In the show the car was shown winning because the Chevelle got a little squirrelly on the last winner take all run. I don't think many people were convinced of the cars potential, not to mention the only people that argument would fly with is the ignorant. I wouldn't be banking on any significant increase in the value of your car.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
man, i need to get a job and a turbo quick. haha... i watched that pinks episode...when did it air? I suppose it could drive the prices up a bit... for a little while, in certain cases. then it will probably be forgotten...

same damn thing happened with the mkIV and The Fast and the Furious though more glorified.....

does anyone remember the average market price of a nice mkIV TT 5spd before, and then after The Fast and the Furious came out?

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
Figit090;973405 said:
does anyone remember the average market price of a nice mkIV TT 5spd before, and then after The Fast and the Furious came out?

nothing because the 5 spd version was very rare, almost zero were built.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
FnF cranked on about a 50% increase in pricing, IIRC. I seem to recall seeing nice clean low mileage TT 6 speeds going for 15-18k pre FnF

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Doward;973422 said:
FnF cranked on about a 50% increase in pricing, IIRC. I seem to recall seeing nice clean low mileage TT 6 speeds going for 15-18k pre FnF

Your recollection is correct. Unfortunately, I sold mine for that much back then :3d_frown:

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
^^^

A 97-98 less than 30,000 mile Supra TT could easily be found in 2000 for less than $20,000. I already had my heart set on that car but was buying a home. At the pre Fast n Furious prices it was clearly the best bang for the buck sport car available. At the inflated price, the MKIV is a very nice car but I believe there are better options.

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
Figit090;973405 said:
I paid $17000 for a 94 black on black 6speed with 80k miles in 2001. I put 20k miles on it and sold it for $26000 in 2002. I have wanted another MK4 ever since but I'm just not willing to put up the money people are asking now.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
fiyota;973370 said:
everybody underates the value of our cars so much it sickens me.

If the enthusiests underate the cars, then that's what they are worth... Personally, if my car is worth say $10,000 to me, I won't accept any less, and if I don't get that much for it I will just keep it in storage.

In order for our supras to be worth any money we have to start holding onto them, and try to get what we want for them.

Wo0t!

If everyone raised their price, and I mean everyone, I think it would raise the value of our cars. But then I don't know much 'bout financial stuff like that.

I tell ya, I'll sure be willing to pay when I find my 92 Turbo/Targa/5spd owned by a little ole lady :)

The Evil Twin_7MGE

*edit* -gte
Oct 26, 2006
NJ
Sweet, a logical excuse to keep dumping cash into it! Not that an addict needs a logical excuse, but I want to still own it when people start calling it a "classic". That'll be a good day.