cars runs better when i give it a vacuum leak on the intake manifold

supraking16

Sep 27, 2009
georgia
does any one know why this would happen. here's a list of mods i have: stage two crower cams crower springs,fidanza cam gears, titan motorsports head gasket 1.4 mm, arp studs torqued to 80footpunds. three inch down pipe and three inch all the way to the back k&n air filter, blow off valve, aem afr gauge, auto meter boost gauge, I'm pretty sure i got it all. i have had an idle problem ever sine i pulled the head and installed the cam and head gasket and all i have a good compression reading when i tested the compression i have clean the manifold and replaced iacv hoses and cleaned that also. i didn't get the cams proffesionaly tuned bc know one around here can do it i live in civic world and i have a supra :)))))) ::w00t:: well i installed the cams just with the marks aligned and i tuned from there to best of my knowledge where i have them now they run the best but still it stalls sometimes my lower ic pipe on the compressor housing is cracked so i need to replace that but i think i got it not leaking air but i need to fix it for good. today i was messing with the car looking for a vac leak to see if thats why it stalls well i figured i would give it a vac leak so i pulled the vaccuum hose off the end of the manifold that should of made it cut off but it just started idling smooth and i revved it and it goes back to idle just fine so i'm so confused if any one can help me thanks alot i also take texts bc i cant get on here alot 706 984 3014 thanks for any help p.s. i have moved the cams every which way just to see what happens and i have the best results where they are now

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
could be caused by your cracked intercooler pipe making it leak so your car is running rich, then making the car have a vacuum leak giving it extra air to get sucked in will be like giving the perfect air to fuel ratio

supraking16

Sep 27, 2009
georgia
That's what I was thinking but it should be sucking in on ic piping except its so close to the turbine its slightly pushing air out

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Prolly the cams. Prolly need to raise the idle a bit but without something good to tune with it might be a little eh.

Cant just add cams and expect it to idle perfect.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
A cracked IC hose could only make it run lean at idle as it will be running off un-metered air. No pressure in the IC pipes at idle for air to escape. It would have the same effect as a vacuum leak.

What does Your wideband say? Its an important diagnostic tool, dont ignore it. Have you checked VF signal?

I also didnt see any engine management, are you still on stock TCCS and injectors/AFM?

Also shorter paragraphs and better punctuation helps us understand what your saying. It helps us help you.

supraking16

Sep 27, 2009
georgia
Im running stock ecu and injectors and stock afm. My afr reads good but everynow and then it will either be realy rich idleing or realy lean idling and that when its trying to idle around five hundred rpm and trying to cut off. I live in columbus georgia its right up under atlanta about an hour away or hour and a ahlf

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

And I don't know what vf signals are and there is no codes showing up

supraking16

Sep 27, 2009
georgia
alright i made a break through i fixed that ic pipe and now it idles good with a slight lope but that can be fixed with a little tuning with the cams and it hasn't stalled or tried to stall

supraking16

Sep 27, 2009
georgia
there were no codes except i had a turbo pressure code the other day so im guessing the pipe caused that because i reset it and it has stayed off

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Turbo pressure code is fuel cut. Boost most likely spiked or because of the intercooler pipe leaks it didnt spike, but the AFM frequency signal was high giving a false sense of overboost to the TCCS.

Last edited: