Career searching

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
This is a long post, so there is summary at the bottom for those that are interested.

Well, before I start my discussion, I would like to say this is not a "hater" post of some sort, or at least it's not suppose to be. I'm just saying how it is. I guess it's more like a vent, but I don't have anger towards anyone. Just wanting to say what's on my mind.

Basically, I'm in my last year of college and will be graduating as a finance major in about a semester. I have done a lot of work to prepare myself for a career and find a summer internship (resume writing, workshops to help prepare students for job fairs, attending job fairs, and other little things in addition to searching for internship or part-time opportunities). It's been like having another class for the last couple of months and after dropping off my resumes at many companies (Enterprise Rent A Car, Toyota Motor Sales, Ameriprise Financial, Northwestern Financial Mutual Network, Bank of America, among other companies), pretty much they either aren't interested and don't call me back or they are looking for people that are graduating this semester and able to work full time. And some companies I realized that it was mostly sales position and cold-calling, which is not my thing, not the mention that sometimes the interview process is so many steps and the few amount of position available is not worth the effort. So basically, I am back where I started. I gained not much else besides a few interview experiences. I interviewed for Kohl's, passed the first interview and got rejected after the second (and final) interview, which is okay since I realized I don’t want a management-only internship. Also, I realized what jobs I like (salary based and not a commission only type, at least for the time being).

I had stop looking for summer internships and look for part-time entry level position that was finance-related in someway. Tried going for a Bank of America teller job, but they said I wouldn’t fit their schedule.

Well, I was at Borders today and decided to walk to the magazine stand. There's a new issue of Import Tuner with the RWD, Drift car Scion TC. On the same news stand was some teen magazine showing how much some of the kids stars were making. Some little girl was making $2 million a movie, "Hannah Montana" was making $2 or $20 million (I can't remember the exact digits) a concert on tour, and some three member group called the Jonas Brothers are making $12 million dollars a year. I was like "wow, life is not equal for everyone." It was kind of a slap in the face. Here I am, trying to find an occupation towards my career and coming up with no offer and there is a magazine touting how much these celebrity teens were making. No hate against them though; I’m sure they earned it.

From time to time, I'll see attractive girls that are financial successful (real estate broker, bankers, etc.) and sometimes I'll see attract girls with guys that are financial well off, driving their nice cars and such.

I realized that at this point, I got nothing to offer the opposite sex. I can't even help myself at the moment, just making enough to get by.

I also have been contemplating that since I couldn't find financial-related internship, perhaps I should pursue an automotive related regular job (like working at pepboys or something), at least for the time being. Even though I’m a novice when it comes to hands-on car work, seeing Kaizon build about the Soapra and the four-door Skyline GTS-T build in addition to their many others write-ups and BorHor mentioning he works for a tuner shop got me thinking that maybe I should pursue something related to automotive, even if it’s just entry level to start with.

I’ve been searching for performance shops also. The only problem is I’m not very hands on when it comes to cars. I’m able to do regular maintenance like changing engine oil, brake pads, and some simple bolt on things, but I won’t be able to build an engine build, install a turbo kit, motor swaps, and other such things. I’m willing to learn and want to take an engine rebuild course, but I haven’t been able to do that. I’m hoping the shops would have something more like customer service/cashier like. Slim chance, but it wouldn’t hurt to try. We'll see what happens.

Well, that's all.

Summary:
I’m a finance major, about to graduate next semester.
Been looking for finance-related positions, coming up empty handed.
Walked into Borders, saw RWD Drift Scion tC on Import Tuner, in the same newsstand saw a teen mag touting how much teen celebs are making. Find it to be kind of a slap in the face since I’m struggle to make something of myself.
Contemplating about perhaps finding a regular entry level job automotive related, like a customer service/cashier associate at a Pepboys or Super Autobac.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Some things in life are hard. Others seem hard, but will actually fix themselves given time.

Finding an intern position can be tough, especially if you're looking for real salary to come from it. My company takes on interns when the school pays for half their wages, for example - if your school doesn't offer the same deal, we would pass. (Just as an example, I rather doubt you're looking to move out of the country just for an intern position!)

A word of advice on that front - look for work, not a career. The best time to look for a career is when you are already working.

Worrying about what you have to offer the opposite sex? Now that's pointless. First of all, the opposite sex in your age group won't have much to offer themselves, so that puts you on an even footing. Second, and more important, chances are you have no idea what they want, or find themselves attracted to. When you find a match, I can virtually guarantee you'll be completely blindsided by what they used as a gauge.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Ah, GrimJack's words of wisdom...thank you so much.

You make very good points. I appreciate the response.

Yes, you are correct. I will not move out of the country for an internship. Canada's a great country though.

You are right. From what I've seen, I rarely find a couple that I know in my age category that are serious when it comes to relationships. And when they are serious, it's not a matter of money factor either. Only how much they like each other. But you know who brings up the money factor...their parents and family.

Most of the people my age are in that time of their lives where they go to night clubs parties (which I never done) and other such wild things. Some people date and from what I have heard from others is that even though they are with someone, they aren't very serious about it.

Could you elaborate more on what you mean by "When you find a match, I can virtually guarantee you'll be completely blindsided by what they used as a gauge." I'm kind of slow sometimes (like my Supra, haha) and the only part I understood was "find a match" and "gauge". Are they going to measure me with an Autometer Tach gauge or an AEM gauge of some sort? Haha, sorry...couldn't keep myself from saying that...it's a car forum after all.

Wish I had that ability of hearing what women are thinking, like that movie "What A Woman Wants" (I think that's the title) starring Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt. That would be awesome since I don't know what women wants.

Thanks for your advice and I will be looking for work. I could use the work experience in addition to the work experience I already have on my application.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I don't quite get this whole "internship" thing... Why in the world would a company offer someone a job if that certain someone cannot work fulltime for a few more months???

And when you say you are majoring in finance, and want a finance-related job, what do you really mean?? What kind of job are you hoping for? Also, why are you only applying with large companies?

(Sorry for the million questions, but I'm a lil confizzled as to what you're having a whinge about)

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
You aren't alone. I find myself feeling the same way many days out of the week.
GrimJack;1006447 said:
Some things in life are hard. Others seem hard, but will actually fix themselves given time.

Finding an intern position can be tough, especially if you're looking for real salary to come from it. My company takes on interns when the school pays for half their wages, for example - if your school doesn't offer the same deal, we would pass. (Just as an example, I rather doubt you're looking to move out of the country just for an intern position!)

A word of advice on that front - look for work, not a career. The best time to look for a career is when you are already working.

Worrying about what you have to offer the opposite sex? Now that's pointless. First of all, the opposite sex in your age group won't have much to offer themselves, so that puts you on an even footing. Second, and more important, chances are you have no idea what they want, or find themselves attracted to. When you find a match, I can virtually guarantee you'll be completely blindsided by what they used as a gauge.

...and ditto to Grimjack. Right on the money there.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
No need to apologize for the questions. It's a heck a lot shorter than my previous message post. :biglaugh:

The internships offered by most companies are summer internship and how it works out is this: they'll work full-time during the summer and when it ends, the internship may get offered a full-time position upon graduation, which could be one semester or one school year after the internship for the summer ends. These were the internships I was looking for, which some companies were offering.

Other internships are looking for people that are graduating right away and the internship would start when or after they graduate from school.

Finance-related could many several things: 1) The finance department of a corporation like Toyota or Kellogg's at their headquarters. Companies have different departments for different purposes (human resource, marketing, accounting, management, etc.); 2) a financial advisors (advisor that work with people to plan their stock investments and retirements); 3) Banking (like a bank teller that help customers deposits checks or personal bankers that make loans to people to buy homes or to businesses). My best bet is probably to work at a bank since I am looking for salary pay unless I can find a job in a finance department for a company like Falken or Toyo Tires.

I hope I clarified it and answered your question.

LilMissMkIII;1006488 said:
I don't quite get this whole "internship" thing... Why in the world would a company offer someone a job if that certain someone cannot work fulltime for a few more months???

And when you say you are majoring in finance, and want a finance-related job, what do you really mean?? What kind of job are you hoping for? Also, why are you only applying with large companies?

(Sorry for the million questions, but I'm a lil confizzled as to what you're having a whinge about)

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Lol, I'm not as dense as your explanation is making out mate, but thanks for clarifying the internship stuff! :)

I currently work in finance, and have a good grip of the industry here in Aus, and from experience, the US is quite similar... There are so many different roles you could apply for, but make sure you apply for something that you really want to have a go at...

I would personally say that working at a bank as a teller is a waste of your degree.

Working in a finance department doesn't necessarily mean you will do anything finance-related... Most people I know spend the first few years out of university in paper-pusher roles, not utilising their knowledge or skills at all... This is why I asked why you are only going for roles with large companies. Gaining employment with an SME would be more beneficial (imo) as you will have the opportunity to really get into the nitty gritty.

(I am speaking from personal experience also... I did a stint at Macquarie Bank, earning shit-tons of money for over a year, but learnt sweet fk all... I am now in a small business, earning a bit less, but the knowledge and skills I have gained is just incredible, and I love getting up in the morning to come to work!)

And also, I'm biased, but have a go at applying for something with an adviser... I'm in financial planning, and it's awesome :)

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
I'm glad you brought up small companies. I guess I never really considered it before.

I suppose the only reason why I'm only looking at and considering all these big companies is because these are the ones that participate with the job fairs held by my universities. So it's kind of like the only one I apply for are the ones that shows up to the university job career fairs.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you about the whole bank teller job. The only reason I considered it was because I couldn't land an internship after dropping resumes with many companies. I figured I would be able to start small and move up. Perhaps not the best choice. Thanks for the advice.

If more smaller businesses show up to the job fairs at my school, I would definitely consider it. Heck, I think because of the size being smaller, the company would be more intimitate and friendly.

I'll make an appointment with an advisor and find things on financial planning. May you explain to me what this position involves?

You love waking up in the morning for your occupation...that is the feeling that I am looking for when I am looking for a career. That is a true career, something you love to do, love waking up for, and love the experience and knowledge you gain from it. LilMissMkIII, you are living the life and loving it.

I have one more semester, so there is time to find something before officially graduating. Until then, I wouldn't mind working at an auto parts location.

On a side note, perhaps this is the not the best economy to graduate into (talking about the U.S.) The real estate industry have really declined and many downfalls (companies like Citibank, Countrywide, Morgan Stanley, and others having to be bailed out or bought out) and so many people defaulting on their homes loans and credits being affected. Also I think the U.S. is in a recession (no actually data yet, that will be in a few months).

Thanks LilMissMkIII. I appreciate you advice. I value your response base on your real world, personal experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I don't think the US is in a recession. Someone in a finance program should know exactly what the definition of a recession is, and exactly how to find the figures! ;)

What I meant by the gauge... Well, how about this. Young men (and some older men) usually think in terms of three factors.
- How do I look? (Am I overweight? Is my hair falling out / grey? Do I work out enough?)
- Do I have enough money?
- Do I drive a nice car?

Young women, on the other hand, are a FAR more complex animal. And if you think that's hard to wrap your head around, older women are even more complex. Things don't separate nicely in their minds - everything is connected to everything else. I've know girls who pick men based on looks, attitude, knowledge, kindness, honesty, quality of their dental work, influence, how closely they resemble their father, smell, cleanliness, charity, wisdom, sexual talents, hairy chest, NOT hairy chest, cooking ability, sewing ability, money, just to make their girlfriends jealous, shape of their feet, size of their hands, taste, religious beliefs, professional career, fashion sense, modesty, artistic talent, and whether or not they liked unicorns. That's just off the top of my head, there's probably another 100 factors, and the average girl is likely going to be affected by at least 50 of them, randomly picked from the list, with random weighted value.

So, you could be an overweight, balding guy with silver hair, ride a bicycle for transportation, and make enough money at the local 7-eleven to go out for dinner once a year, but it doesn't matter, because the hot librarian that you just hooked up with is strangely attracted to a guy who believes in leprechauns, likes Cream Soda slurpees, and smells like apples and pipe tobacco.

Cliffs: Whatever you think will attract the ladies... you're probably wrong. You will still attract them, but it will be from something totally unexpected.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
GrimJack, you have very good imputs about this. Can Supramania make you our official "advice about ladies" member? :biglaugh:

Seeing how I've been rejected more times than I can count, I concur that I do not know what a woman wants.

Recession is two consecutive quarters with negative GDP growth, is this correct? Actual numbers won't come out yet, so we can't conclude that we are in a recession for sure. But one sign is that unemployment have gone up to about five percent.

In the meantime, I'll probably apply for the an auto parts location. I can't complain about earning more retail and customer service experience.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Well I feel for you phantom as more and more college graduates are finding themselves no jobs waiting for them for their future and thats mainly because companies large and small are finding that it is cheaper to hire people who have actual job experience in that particular field rather than highering someone who has no job experience whatsoever.

I will try and paste the article about this I beleive its actually from careerbuilder or jobs.com one of those sites that came up with the article about this. The average salaries for college graduates are decreasing as with jobs. Many college graduates seem to find themselves with no job and they decide to join the military for their ojt so when they get out they will be much more marketable to the employment world. Even internships cost companies money.

I as a member in the USAF would encourage you to learn and educate yourself about the military and what it has to offer. You dont have to sign nothing just see what it has and could offer you. Since you have a bachelors degree there is a likely chance you could become an officer which is much better pay and benefits. And instead of waisting your degree away on some dead end oil change job or parts salesman you could be doing somehting much more meaningful and getting even more training and education for no cost by you only your time and service.

I dont regret one bit joining and serving and in return I have attained 2 associates and a bachelors degree and my certifications in air traffic control. And I came in with just short of an associates.

Maybe soemthing to think about.

If not perhaps a job with the city or government? Did you try that?

Also if you are willing to move I know a friend of mine is a finance major and he attained a job in arizona and from what hes been telling me there are plenty of jobs in the Phoenix area.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Yeah, I tried going for a city government job, but no luck. I left my resume with them twice at the two job fairs I went to.

turbojuiced, I have a lot of respect for USAF and the people in the arm forces.
But it's not my type of thing. I had considered these type of opportunity back when I was about to finish from high school, but it was then that I realized that it was not something I wanted to do.

For the time being, I'm just going to have to look for a job. With the way the economy is and with California having some cutbacks, I'll be lucky to find a job somewhere.

I'm young, so no need to rush into a career I guess.

I don't plan to move anytime soon, but with the price of a nice home in AZ being a bargain compared to here in California which cost at least three times as much, I might seriously consider it. haha.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
+1 for grimjack!

Girls are crazy. They have no idea what they like. But one thing that almost all girls will notice is confidence. Im an ugly MOFO and when i was in a band(and even after i stopped playing) all i had to do was treat them like shit and act confident and they were all over me. And i was a bass player!(any bass players know what i mean) And money for them is nice but it is more of a thing for their parents. My current gf has no problem with me being a pizza maker and hardly making any money after paying the bills but her family thinks im a joke and im not going anywhere. Who cares if im the only guy she KNOWS who knows how to cook, fix a toilet, do free auto work, paint, defend me/her on the streets if need be, do laundry, wash dishes? parents tend to overlook the details. As for the career, auto shops need finance work too. Try applying to car places. Dealerships, distributors, aftermarket companies if there are any around, magazines, tool companies, whatever you can find. Look on craigslist haha

MkIII_Jeff

squirelly wrath!
Mar 2, 2008
Roseville, CA
GrimJack;1006974 said:
So, you could be an overweight, balding guy with silver hair, ride a bicycle for transportation, and make enough money at the local 7-eleven to go out for dinner once a year, but it doesn't matter, because the hot librarian that you just hooked up with is strangely attracted to a guy who believes in leprechauns, likes Cream Soda slurpees, and smells like apples and pipe tobacco.

This made me ROFL so damn hard. A female friend of mine in her late 30's told me that she believes that women do not truly mature until after 35. From my experiences that seems to be pretty true.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I just graduated from the Fire Academy. Its quite easily the best job in the world. Get paid to sleep, work out and for what you might have to do, plus being a protector of the community you live in. Just something to think about.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Isphius;1044825 said:
As for the career, auto shops need finance work too. Try applying to car places. Dealerships, distributors, aftermarket companies if there are any around, magazines, tool companies, whatever you can find. Look on craigslist haha

I actually had been doing that for the past few months and realized it's not going to work out. I'm located in SoCal and I applied for any shops I knew of, and a few I found from searching online. I applied to Greddy twice already, no reply to my application or emails. I applied to a place called DriftSpeed. I applied for Pepboys about a month ago and even called, only to get a reply that they'll call when they need me. My latest application to a automotive related place was a distribution company that dealt with high price motorcycles and exotic cars. I got denied the position because my school schedule conflicted with their needs.

It's cool though. I'll keep searching.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
GrimJack said:
Young men (and some older men) usually think in terms of three factors.
- How do I look? (Am I overweight? Is my hair falling out / grey? Do I work out enough?)
- Do I have enough money?
- Do I drive a nice car?

Young women, on the other hand, are a FAR more complex animal. And if you think that's hard to wrap your head around, older women are even more complex. Things don't separate nicely in their minds - everything is connected to everything else. I've know girls who pick men based on looks, attitude, knowledge, kindness, honesty, quality of their dental work, influence, how closely they resemble their father, smell, cleanliness, charity, wisdom, sexual talents, hairy chest, NOT hairy chest, cooking ability, sewing ability, money, just to make their girlfriends jealous, shape of their feet, size of their hands, taste, religious beliefs, professional career, fashion sense, modesty, artistic talent, and whether or not they liked unicorns. That's just off the top of my head, there's probably another 100 factors, and the average girl is likely going to be affected by at least 50 of them, randomly picked from the list, with random weighted value.

Cliffs: Whatever you think will attract the ladies... you're probably wrong. You will still attract them, but it will be from something totally unexpected.

I'm sorry, I missed this post until today.

I am just speechless at your accuracy.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
little_chari;1503774 said:
The way to my heart? Just 3 magical words - BBQ pork ribs. :love:

I figured you to be more this type...

GrimJack;1006974 said:

Nice resurrection BTW. Your Necromancer powers are strong...