Carbon Fiber

theflash083

Sep 3, 2006
ua
I know its lighter weight and usually stronger, but i was wondering does Carbon Fiber fail to elements and rust very easily?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
haha@ carbon fiber rust. thats the funny. Its usually the clear coat or gel coat that goes bad on cheap hoods... the carbon fiber itself is very resiliant, extremely good on heat resistance, and very impact resistant. It is overall an excellent material.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I had to bondo a small rot hole on my carbon fiber hood. I just touched it up with carbon fiber paint and you can't even tell.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i dont think carbon fiber can rust, but the clearcoat can go bad, like a few people have mentioned.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
its not torn to pieces, its called weight reduction! :yelrotflm

only problems ive seen with carbon fiber were in paintball. a while back some company decided to make a two piece barrel with the tip/second piece made out of carbon fiber. it was great, really light, and you could shoot through breaks easily due to the slick surface. but then again, they'd manufactured it so thin it was extremely brittle; more than once they'd snap after a rough dive or something of the sort.

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
supra90turbo said:
I had to bondo a small rot hole on my carbon fiber hood. I just touched it up with carbon fiber paint and you can't even tell.
Dang, I thought you were serious. Im too poor to afford anything carbon fiber so i wouldnt know. lol
-Steve

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Clip said:

only problems ive seen with carbon fiber were in paintball. a while back some company decided to make a two piece barrel with the tip/second piece made out of carbon fiber. it was great, really light, and you could shoot through breaks easily due to the slick surface. but then again, they'd manufactured it so thin it was extremely brittle; more than once they'd snap after a rough dive or something of the sort.

Weight reduction my ass...[quote FNF]You see anything missin Ted? Hunh? **no** WE GOT NO ENGINES! DO WE TED!? DO WE!?![/quote FNF]

Maybe kurt plans on racing on "hopes and dreams" :yelrotflm

May 19, 2006
SE Wisconsin
Clip said:

I think that was the scepter kit. They also made the tanks outta cf and that made hella difference.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
no, the specific one i was talking about was manufactured by 32 degrees, just called the carbon fiber barrel. the scepter kit from powerlyte was aluminum, with several bore inserts. and hell yeah, the carbon fiber wrapped tanks were great for dropping some weight from the setup.

as for running on hopes and dreams, i bet that's gotta get better gas mileage than some of the stuff around here.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jonsupra;1806958 said:
If I use the stock hood shocks that hold it open on a carbon fiber hood, will it ruin it?
Maybe, but reviving 5.5 year old threads like this will more than likely get you laughed at a bit...

To answer your question, all depends on how solid your hood is. Some poorly made ones, stock struts will likely pop a hole in it.