Carbon fiber speakers

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
Just for some background, my car is a white 1989 turbo auto hardtop with blue cloth interior and when i first got it the speakers barely worked so after about 3 days i got some pioneers from a freind and when i took the speaker covers off to install them i noticed i had what apeared to be factory carbon fiber speakers in the car with that foam around the cone completely gone, I didnt think anything of it for a while but i was just looking at a build thread where they guy pulled his stockers and they abviously arent CF. There are no markings on the speakers to make me think they're aftermarket and the bracket they're built into fits like stock, has anyone else here found speakers like this in their car?

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
our cars use a 4" speaker, which while being fairly uncommon, isn't THAT rare. They probably are an aftermarket speaker. All 4" speakers ahve the same mounting brackets, so they're just a drop in replacement. And, since you said that they had a foam surround with no label, leads me to believe that they're ebay junk. A couple reputable companies do make speakers with carbon cones, but they all use rubber surrounds and are branded on the motor or basket.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Actually, when I took off my 1990s front speakers they were exactly as you described and I believe that they were toyota oem.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Both above posts are correct. The CF look alike cones are OEM Toyota P'sOS. They're actually a sort of component set if you look close enough, the tweet is seperate from the woofer!!

In any case, throw them in the trash, if you want to, re use the enclosure, but I say that's trash too!