Carbon build up/ black exhaust

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Backlash2032;1946732 said:
Since the ecu is so picky, what should the resistance be for the ks wiring?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

As for the actual number mine ohm'd out to be, I don't remember. I rewired mine using RG-6 coaxial cable with soldered ends and the shielding grounded.

So I guess I only have one knock sensor? I can only find one KS on my block. Here's a picture from back when the rebuild was done image.jpg unless I'm missing something I only have one KS. But I thought 7m's are supposed to have 2? Somewhere around the starter. I don't mind only re-wiring one hahah, I'm just a little confused.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
You don't need to order the coaxial cable or the KS connector. I went to Lowes and bought 6-8 ft of rg-6 coaxial shielded cable then went to a local toyota dealer and asked for a knock sensor plug. It's used the same connector on quite a few vehicles.

Last edited:
IndigoMKII;1947180 said:
You don't need to order the coaxial cable or the KS connector. I want to Lowes and bought 6-8 ft of rg-6 coaxial shielded cable then went to a local toyota dealer and asked for a knock sensor plug. It's used the same connector on quite a few vehicles.
Oh awesome! this will go faster than i thought then

Alright guys. Touched my car for the first time since last week, yesterday. I wanted to test the continuity of the wire so I won't do all the work for nothing. My dad helped cus he tends to know more about that shit than me :nono: anyways we Hooked the voltmeter up to the KS connector and the port where the wire hooks up to the EVU and it zero'd out so the wire is good. Then we hooked it up directly to the KS wire going into the ECU and grounded it out. Got no reading. So unless we messed up somewhere it's the KS itself? Since theres no signal making it to the computer... Only reason I'm not too keen on replacing it is its $140 now wherever I get it unless someone on here can cut me a deal :naughty: but seriously thanks for the input so far guys and keep it coming please!!!

I got a new knock sensor in today and installed it. At first it ran good still a little smokey, so I took it to get gas.started it again and it would idle for a second then die. So I get it home and go through what could be wrong. Still gives a code 51. We unplugged the fuel pump relay and the car ran smoother and the black smoke went away. So we checked resistance in the FP resistor and it came back with this image.jpg the owners manual says it should read out to 0.7 ohms checked the fuel pump relay as well and got this image.jpg so I'm gonna replace both of these and see what happens

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Stop swapping stuff based on very poor diagnostic technique. Neither the fuel pump relay or resistor is at fault. Nor can the engine run with the relay unplugged. If you're going to fixate on the fuel system you should be checking pressure.

jetjock;1950828 said:
Stop swapping stuff based on very poor diagnostic technique. Neither the fuel pump relay or resistor is at fault. Nor can the engine run with the relay unplugged. If you're going to fixate on the fuel system you should be checking pressure.
I'm not going to argue with this, just state where I'm coming from. I do not believe the KS sensor was a bad purchase. I do see how just replacing random parts won't get me anywhere. I will start looking into the fuel pressure. And, not arguing, but my engine did indeed stay running while the relay was unplugged.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Then the wiring isn't stock. All the more reason to troubleshoot properly. Now if you meant the car ran for a little bit then of course it will and of course any smoke due to enrichment would disappear. As for the KS you said in post 36 it didn't fix anything (not that 51 is related) but hey, maybe you're right. Replace the relay and resistor. Best to buy new ones from the dealer. Let us know what happens. If nothing changes refer to post 24...