car won't start

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
hey everyone,

i tried to start the car up today for the first time after my swap, and nothing will happen whatsoever, it does not even attempt to turn over, all i hear is the starter relay on the passenger side going off..

its a brand new battery, and im getting power to everything.. i tried to jump the starter and hook up a piece of wire from the power on the starter to the square connector on the starter to see if i could get anything, and i hear the starter shoot out, but it still does not spin or even attempt to turn over the motor..

oh and i can manually turn the crank without a problem so i know its not seized, and i also tried starting it with a boost just in case the battery is no good and that didnt help either

any insight would be great, thanks a lot

Last edited:

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
the starter just shoots out when i jump it like that, but does not attempt to turn it over at all... if i try to just start it normally, it does not do anything at all

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
full_thr0ttle;1071789 said:
the starter just shoots out when i jump it like that, but does not attempt to turn it over at all... if i try to just start it normally, it does not do anything at all

sounds like a bad starter to me

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
yea i took the starter out and tomorrow im going to put in a known and tested good one, and ill see what happens from there.. hopefully thats the problem after all the effort i put in just to get that stupid starter out.. what a nightmare

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
so it turns out that it was in fact the starter.. i went to crank it over to get some oil pressure before starting it up and unfortunately my oil pressure gauge does not budge, not sure if it means i have no pressure, or if the sensor or gauge isnt working..

something else for me to have to figure out now..

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
was able to finally get it to start, but it will not stay on for longer than a few seconds.. found some fuel under the car so im thinking i have a leak somewhere and that could be my problem.. gona take a better look tomorrow if its nice

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
fixed the fuel leak but still no help.. i notice that after the car shuts off after a few seconds, the fuel pressure drops right to '0'.. i also have no residual pressure showing on the gauge after the car is off with the ignition key still on.. any ideas?

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
i realize im posting after myself numerous times lol but i figured the updates might help anyone who reads it to chime who might have had the same problem

i checked for codes and im getting 14, 21, and 51..

21 is for the 02 sensor- makes sense because i dont have it hooked up yet, so im not raelly woreied about it

51 is for the a/c or the tps- im leaning towards the a/c since, again, it has yet to be hooked up

which brings me to code 14- something in the ignition, picked up a known good coil pack and ignitor today from a buddy, gona try them out and see what happens

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So did you ever get oil pressure to read??

PS- I wouldn't automatically assume that 51 is for AC. Check that the plug going to the TPS is secure.

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
first pull the ecu 15amp fuse to clear the codes. make sure every thing is pluged in. start the car. do it a couple times if it keeps goin dead. and then check for codes. it will give you a fresh start for trouble shooting

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
yea i did that a couple times and those are the codes that keep coming up...

coil pack and ignitor did not solve the problem..

Last edited:

89TargaT

No Traction FTL...
Jan 30, 2008
Missouri
I had the same problem a couple months ago with the same codes. Not sure exactly what it was, but I had checked everything in the ignition circuit and still no fix. I then turned my attention to the CPS and the wiring there. I checked out all of the wiring and reinstalled the CPS as per the TSRM and the car started right up.

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
i found the problem! it was a wire that was broken between the ignitor and the coil pack.. so the good news is that i finally figured THAT out and got the car to start...

HOWEVER, i went to start it up again, and now it seems that the fuel pump is not working, any ideas? its a brand new walbro pump.. i jumped the Fp to B+ in the diagnostic box, and nothing..

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
found the problem! turns out the wiring where the connector hooks up to the pump was shotty, played around with it and got it to fire up! thanks for all the feedback everyone, really appreciate everyones help throughout this painful process lol