Car Wont Start

Digilog

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary
Hey all,

I have just finished putting my new JDM 7MGE into my car, but it wont start. It cranks over, you can smell fuel when you pull a plug out, and we have checked for spark.

We put a timing light on it while it is cranking over and it looks good.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If your injectors are working, then you are also getting spark. Without spark, the injectors will not get turned on.

That leaves compression. Your engine could be out of time, or the position/speed sensor in the distributor, known as the CPS on the GTE is out of time.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Are you sure about the timing gears being lined up, #1 on TDC, crank pulley at the zero mark. Also check your AFM plug to make sure it's pluged in. There's a couple of other things but we need more info.

Digilog

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary
Hey thanks for the replies,

Ok It is getting fuel, when we pull a plug we can smell it. We tested for spark we are getting it as well. AFM is plugged in. We rotated to TDC on Compression stroke (looked for cam lobe in oil filler cap on valve cover) and set the distributor. We checked timing with a light while cranking and it looked good. I just checked the injector wire colour codes and they are correct.

I am not sure where to go from here.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Digilog;988979 said:

Ok It is getting fuel, when we pull a plug we can smell it. We tested for spark we are getting it as well. AFM is plugged in. We rotated to TDC on Compression stroke (looked for cam lobe in oil filler cap on valve cover) and set the distributor. We checked timing with a light while cranking and it looked good. I just checked the injector wire colour codes and they are correct.

You realize there is no sensor that prevents compression and starting when you have injection pulse and ignition timing at the correct time.

The engine out of time will take away compression needed to fire the engine. And many people say the CPS is lined up right, when it isn't, so don't feel bad if you find out later that it isn't.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Digilog;988979 said:

Did you replace the timing belt? If so and I would have, were the cam gears lined up on the marks as well as the crank mark, and TDC on #1, with the rotor pointing at the #1 wire on the distributor?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Nick M;989068 said:
You realize there is no sensor that prevents compression and starting when you have injection pulse and ignition timing at the correct time.

The engine out of time will take away compression needed to fire the engine. And many people say the CPS is lined up right, when it isn't, so don't feel bad if you find out later that it isn't.
NA, no CPS :)

Digilog

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary

Well I guess that settles it then, my timing must be off, I just set the crank to TDC Compression and pulled the timing cover off, it was off by maybe a full tooth between the two gears. I rest and tried again still no luck, back to the distributor I guess.

Thanks again for the replies.

Kingsoup

Apr 8, 2005
Calgary
I'm working on this car right now as well. I've reset the distributor a couple times, with the timing light its firing on #1 and 6 at TDC 0 deg. I've tried rotating the dist. 180deg as well with no luck. TDC compression cam gears are aligned, plugs smell of fuel, no codes. AFM in, no big vacuum leaks.

ONE thing we didn't hook back up since this is a JDM motor are the two VSV's, the EGR and FPR I think it is? they are just unplugged, that wouldn't cause a problem would it?

We're going to pull all the plugs and make sure each one fires, its all quite confusing this.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Kingsoup;989092 said:
I'm working on this car right now as well. I've reset the distributor a couple times, with the timing light its firing on #1 and 6 at TDC 0 deg. I've tried rotating the dist. 180deg as well with no luck. TDC compression cam gears are aligned, plugs smell of fuel, no codes. AFM in, no big vacuum leaks.

ONE thing we didn't hook back up since this is a JDM motor are the two VSV's, the EGR and FPR I think it is? they are just unplugged, that wouldn't cause a problem would it?

We're going to pull all the plugs and make sure each one fires, its all quite confusing this.

Could be the FPR, if it's not regulated it could dump a lot of gas in the cylinders I think, and the VSV needs to be hooked up for that. The EGR I don't believe would cause it not to start, I don't have one. You have to make sure of your vac hookups are right though. If you arn't using them they should be capped.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
AJ'S 88NA;989072 said:
NA, no CPS :)

It is inside the distributor. You still need a speed and position to fire the injectors-even if it is batch fire-and the distributor at the right time.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=48

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=56

As you can see, it still has the G1, G2 and NE signal.

EGR default position is closed. Vacuum being switched by the VSV pulls it open. I know when running if you pull it open at idle, it will stall. I suppose being stuck could make it not start. But vacuum lines just hanging there will prevent a start. Especially if they are dumping vacuum to atmosphere.

Kingsoup

Apr 8, 2005
Calgary
Thanks guys! I'm going to reconnect the FPR VSV when I get back and make sure its not overpressure or something.

I'm also going to check each plug to see it fire and stethescope the injectors to make sure they are actually firing and the wet plugs isn't from the cold start.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I am curious too. I am finishing up assembly of my 7M tonite with a new clutch package and trans install. It all should go in the car tommorow. I hope all goes well but if not I will be watching this thread

Kingsoup

Apr 8, 2005
Calgary
Ok here is the update.

I tried to listen to the injectors to hear them clicking, I was suspecting the cold start injector was wetting the plugs. I pulled and cleaned the plugs, unplugged the coldstart, cranked for a while and the plugs are wet, so I assume the injectors are firing, well at least #1 is, I need to check the TSRM for proper injector test routine. The injectors were from our previously running US motor so I don't think they are siezed.

I pulled the distributor and opened it to see if the rotor was on #1 at TDC on the mark on the shaft and it WASN'T!! it was a bit ahead, I saw another scratched on mark on the distributor shaft that indicated #1 plug. Anyways it didn't make any damn difference.

I've checked the cam timing 3 times now, at TDC crank, both cams are aligned and the #1 came lobe is pointing straight up (when pulling the oil cap off)

It cranks and occasionaly makes a cough here and there, but still no firing, I'm really at a loss here.

Tonight I think is check all the plugs and wires and go over injectors check routines.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Kingsoup;991886 said:
Ok here is the update.

I tried to listen to the injectors to hear them clicking, I was suspecting the cold start injector was wetting the plugs. I pulled and cleaned the plugs, unplugged the coldstart, cranked for a while and the plugs are wet, so I assume the injectors are firing, well at least #1 is, I need to check the TSRM for proper injector test routine. The injectors were from our previously running US motor so I don't think they are siezed.

I pulled the distributor and opened it to see if the rotor was on #1 at TDC on the mark on the shaft and it WASN'T!! it was a bit ahead, I saw another scratched on mark on the distributor shaft that indicated #1 plug. Anyways it didn't make any damn difference.

I've checked the cam timing 3 times now, at TDC crank, both cams are aligned and the #1 came lobe is pointing straight up (when pulling the oil cap off)

It cranks and occasionaly makes a cough here and there, but still no firing, I'm really at a loss here.

Tonight I think is check all the plugs and wires and go over injectors check routines.
#1 cam lobe?? The Cam gears have to be lined up on the marks on the rear timing cover, there is a couple of grooves, then everything else has to be lined up and the #1 on TDC, and the rotor pointing at #1. If it doesn't start then you have other problems

With your other problems, did you get your vac lines hooked up or plugged?