Car won't start

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
jdub said:
Ignitor and CPS plugged in?
Check that the ground wires are attached to the upper intake manifold.

The ECU plugs can be mixed up, trust me...seen it happen. ;)

I trust you, but how can it happen? There are only 3 plugs specifically for the ECU. They go large, medium and small. The large can't go in the small or medium slot. So how can they get mixed up? :confused:

I'll double check those other things. Maybe they aren't tight or something, i'm hoping.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Burntz said:
did you check the obvious? power to starter? grounds? etc? thiers a certain logic to diagnosing cars lol. if it wont even crank you check your starter, relay, b attery, wiring, grounds, etc. then move on from their

Yeah I checked the logic. It's cranking over, just no firing happening.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
ok, so if its cranking, then you need air, fuel, and spark. air: obvious. fuel ? are the injectors firing? are you getting fuel to the rail? spark: pull a wire and throw a plug in it, hold it next to the body, is it sparking when cranking? if you have all 3, then timing: cps/dist etc.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Burntz said:
ok, so if its cranking, then you need air, fuel, and spark. air: obvious. fuel ? are the injectors firing? are you getting fuel to the rail? spark: pull a wire and throw a plug in it, hold it next to the body, is it sparking when cranking? if you have all 3, then timing: cps/dist etc.

Air: yes it is getting air
How can I check if there is fuel getting to the rail and if the injectors are firing? This is my first time messing with FI

How badly can the timing effect it? I alligned the engine at TDC before I put it back in so that shouldn't effect it.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
canadian said:
I trust you, but how can it happen? There are only 3 plugs specifically for the ECU. They go large, medium and small. The large can't go in the small or medium slot. So how can they get mixed up? :confused:

I'll double check those other things. Maybe they aren't tight or something, i'm hoping.

You know, I scratched my head on that one too. The guy that was helping me put my motor in managed to do it on my car...it was an '89+ harness/ECU.

Also, check the connector on the coil pack harness.

The CPS wiring can be a problem (especially on an old harness)...try moving the wiring at the connector a bit. Check and make sure the cam gear index is lined up with the index on the back plate, the crank pulley is at "0", and the CPS looks like this:

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
I'll have to pull a few things off to get the black cover off the CPS to check if it looks like that.

The ignitor is plugged in, it's not that.
Coil pack is plugged in.

I'll have to check again on the intake ground wires...I don't remember them :nono:

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
May have found a minor problem; the ground for the coil pack was just dangling. Where does it connect to specifically? Or can I connect it anywhere it will reach? I will look for the spot in the meantime.

Where are these ground(s) you are talking about on the upper intake manifold. I don't remember putting any one, and currently I can't see any? Which grounds are they?

stupid question regarding the CPS: when I installed it I pushed it in and turned it until it the teeth aligned and slid all the way in. This is wrong right? I have to now align it how it is in the picture? Or does it make a difference since I didn't touch anything in the CPS?

How can I check to see if there is fuel getting to the fuel rail and injectors?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The coil ground is not required for operation...it's a field ground. You want it there, but it will not prevent the coils from firing.

The grounds for the ECU are on the lower intake manifold, just below where it bolts up to the upper at the #5 runner.
3 wires...mine are 1 brown w/ blue dot, 2 white w/ red dot..

The CPS has to be installed aligned like this:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=24
The pic is what it should look like once its in and the gear turns as it engages.

You can check the fuel pump here:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=71

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Okay thanks, I will check those things. I am really worried about the 3 grounds though, I dont see.

Will making the CPS align fix most of the problem?

I will check the fuel pump too.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Like I said, those wires include grounds for the ECU...that will stop the motor dead. Look down by your starter...hopefully you didn't hook them up TO the starter (that's been done before).

Depends of where the CPS is off...the motor will usually run (like crap) at 180 deg off. Not sure of in between though.

An inop fuel pump or fuel pump circuit will also stop the motor dead.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
jdub said:
Like I said, those wires include grounds for the ECU...that will stop the motor dead. Look down by your starter...hopefully you didn't hook them up TO the starter (that's been done before).

Depends of where the CPS is off...the motor will usually run (like crap) at 180 deg off. Not sure of in between though.

An inop fuel pump or fuel pump circuit wil also stop the motor dead.

When you say stop it dead you mean just not start? Because it cranks still...

I will check tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far jdub, I appreciate it.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Fixed the problem with the dash lights always staying on. They only go on as req'd now.
Found the ground wires and secured them to the intake manifold.
Tested the fuel pump from the link you gave me in the TSRM and there was the noise it was describing. So that's a good sign.

Still have to check on the CPS. I really don't want to take all that other stuff off with it. But i guess i will have to.

When trying to start it this morning after i fixed the ground problem it did the same thing, but at the end it made a few popping sounds.

I will check on spark, as mentioned, and then if not, CPS I will tear into.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
I keyed the ignition into the on position and checked for codes... the light continuously blinked, so the TSRM says there is nothing wrong???

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Stupid question. To check the CPS alignment, and for it to actually benefit me, the engine has to be at TDC before the CPS is re-installed, right?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes...read up on it in the TSRM.
The cam marks have to be pointing at the index on the plate behind them and crank dampner index pointing at "zero"

Constant blink = no codes stored.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
jdub said:
Yes...read up on it in the TSRM.
The cam marks have to be pointing at the index on the plate behind them and crank dampner index pointing at "zero"

Constant blink = no codes stored.

The cam marks are aligned and same with on the crank at 0*.

When I put the CPS back in the hole (after aligning the hole with the groove as the TSRM says) I have to twist it to make it go in all the way. Is this what you mean with your picture twisting the rotor one tooth the opposite direction so it lines up?

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JDUB YOU ARE MY HERO.
IT STARTS AND RUNS!

But, still more problems:

exhuast leak somewhere, its loud on the drivers side. Stepdad said it was exhaust. I'd imagine it's okay to run with the exhaust leak?

Power steering fluid (ATF fluid, rather) is foamy when shut down. Also looks low when running. Pump was whining for a bit because I think it's low on fluid. But when its off the fluid level is full.

Now that it's running, what should I do before I drive it. I'm going to put better oil in it and change the filter. What else? I don't want to wreck anything :love: