Car won't start + one spare connector!

D

drumminforev

Just finishing putting the hg together, got my injectors on in the correct order. Now the car will crank indefinitely, it putters once or twice when it first starts cranking. Then once i stop cranking, i hear 5 clicks from somewhere in the engine bay.

UPDATE
I have FUEL, SPARK, and TIMING is good.

All my connectors are hooked, i no longer have the fuel blowing out problem.
Just still wont start. Got new pluy wires.

WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I CRANK.

http://www.unreal-deals.com/!pics/vids/carwontstart.mov

All help appreciated.

car probs 010.jpg

These are the lights lit on the dash in the 'on' position

car probs 013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

drumminforev

Im thinking it could be something to do with CPS but i dont know where exactly it is and what i should do to it

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
cars is an na so no cps. has a dizzy.

hmmm sorry dude the wiring on your cars a bit of a mess. is the dizzy pluged in? as that plug looks about the only thing that it could reach would be the distributor.

check about that area for anything thats unpluged.

if i were you i would see about getting the wiring in that area tidied up. even if its only to stop it rubbing etc. try using cable ties to secure it together

D

drumminforev

Ive looked for 3 hours for the plug spot and cant find it, so im here asking someone who knows for sure. Only 1 plug for the dizzy.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
the only plug like that on mine goes right below the theromostate housing. the plug pulls straight out towards the (passanger)side of the engine bay

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
also you might wanna hook up some vacuum lines and see if that helps otherwise it wont start that easily either.............. not trying to flame either

D

drumminforev

anyone help?

Vaccuum lines wont cause it to not start ever.

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
87nasupra is right, that connector is for the "Start Injector Time Switch" which is on the side of the thermostat housing right below where the water line attaches via a large banjo fitting. The main reason it won't start is you dont have the hose attached correctly that runs to the Throttle Body from the Idle Air Control Valve. The correct hookup on the Throttle Body is a little lower that where you have it attached in your picture, you have it attached where the Throttle Adjustment Screw is located.

D

drumminforev

So you are saying i need to move that hose down to the other connectin on the tb. I dont know which the IACV is..where is it

Ill look for that plug on the thermostat housing. But some of the plugs are the same so i guess ill just try swapping them... I dont know about being from a gte...this car used to start and run fine with these same parts.

D

drumminforev

im getting sick of this car now.

I hooked up that hose to the lower part on the manifold. and i found where that plug goes on the thermostat

i cranked it over and it kinda started up to 1500rpm but dying instantly.

after cranking a few more times now theres no fuel pressure suddenly, verified by taking out cold start banjo. the FFI fuse is blown.

When i replace the fuse, it instantly blows out with the key in the on position. a new fuse does it does it again. Also the silver main relay is pretty warm always...

And i found another spare connector underneath the Intake manifold for what??

whats going on, why does the fuse blow instantly and how come it wont start still?! someone please help

random 2 002.jpg

random 2 004.jpg

random 2 005.jpg

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Don't worry about that connector in the pic. It doesn't go anywhere on this car. as for the fuse blowing, sounds like you have a dead short somewhere. Check your wiring. Make sure you have all three grounds hooked up on the bottom of the intake.

D

drumminforev

Are there any other ground sections i need to worry about. I saw there is another ground tab on the thermostat housing, which ground is supposed to go to there or would it not matter

and are there any other places besides the IM that i should look for grounds.

is there somewhere i can see a good diagram of wireing, like service manual style. i checked cynus tsrm online but i couldnt find shit about wiring diagrams

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
There is a big ground wire on the bottom starter mounting bolt, maybe on the back of the head(don't quite remember, I do a lot of head gasket jobs), from the trans. mount to one of the bolts on the cross member, battery to body, probably some others I can't remember.

lazarous

Walking Dead......
Jun 1, 2005
Portland, Oregon
drumminforev said:
UPDATE
I have FUEL, SPARK, and TIMING is good.

All my connectors are hooked, i no longer have the fuel blowing out problem.
Just still wont start. Got new pluy wires.

are the new plug wires all that you did?

D

drumminforev

what does that mean? Is that all i did? No i did a HG like i said in the original post. and now it wont start. im not following why you ask that.

D

drumminforev

Im just trying to get the car to start, ill worry about the PCV later.

I set the distributor exactly so its hitting plug 1 for cyl 1. Its for sure right.

I for sure have spark, and for sure fuel.

It starts, it just wont idle. WHat can cause that. Would the top brown clip on the thermostat housing or the 2 vacuum lines coming off the therm housing cause this?
Vacuum leaks? Faulty maf?