Car wont start, no fuel?

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
I have no clue what to search for... but I am looking at a 1992 Toyota Targa Top Turbo Supra and it looks beautiful, great price everything, but he said it wont turn on... he just swapped the engine (stock Turbo with a JDM Turbo) and someone went ot look at the car, messed around towards the passenger side headlight / engine and then the car stalled and would not turn back on at all... Any ideas?

also throwing code 14

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
probably nothing to sweat over... definately sounds like it could be an electrical issue for sure... maybe check to make sure the afm is plugged in? I guess the engine would run for a second then sputter and die when you give it gas if that where the case.. but worth checking considering it's in the area the guy messed with.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
well... it is weird, like you can see the throttle moving, but no revs, you can not manually rev it... everything looks fine... but like it just doesn't get gas... or enough gas... it cranks, it tries to turn over, we hooked it up to his car for a jump to see if that might help, we tried manually reving, nothing worked... the more he tried the longer (5 seconds, 10 seconds, ect) it would idle and higher RPM but never would stay on....

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
That I dont know... i am going back to look at it Friday How would I adjust that?

(Just so you guys know... 1992 Black Turbo Targa Top 5-Speed)

Really want this car to work out, it is in almost perfect condition :)

Btw

Code 14:

14 Ignition Signal

Diagnosis

* No "IGF" signal to ECU "A" times in succession.
A = 6-8 (7M-GE)
A= 3 (7M-GTE)

Trouble Area

* Igniter and ignition coil circuit
* Igniter and ignition coil
* ECU

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
If that's all that's wrong with the car buy it. Not a hard problem to fix.

Code 14 happens when the ECU doesn't get a confirmation spark occurred after it was commanded. It'll then shut down fuel injection to prevent hydrolock and catalyst overheat. Your problem is very likely in the ignition system. I suggest you read the TCCS and electrical tech section about how the ignition system works. Be sure to clear the code after each attempt at repair.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
so this is a code that will store itself.. then prevent any further attempts? I.E if you dotn clear it the car will never start?

Btw I will thank you for the quick reply / help

The only other problem, which you guys can judge...

he said the old motor leaked oil really bad. I checked the coolant and everything seemed fine but the car will have white smoke come out the tail pipe, none in the engine bay... he said he took the exhaust apart and saw tons of oil in the tail pipe and says that when he first turned the car on there was soo much smoke ppl thought his house was on fire. This guy is a federal cop (actually had his gun on him) and he turns cars around for a side job (police auctions) and has told me he has been doing this for a while, just wondering what do you guys think about the smoke.. it dissipates in the air rather quickly but it is there (reminds me of the same smoke when I installed headers on my car a few years ago and we used a lot of WD40)