Car won't start following engine work

kwutzo

Mar 13, 2008
Norman, OK
I can't figure out what I did wrong on my reassembly.

1991 N/A with a JDM 7mge, W58

Symptoms:
Coolant gauge pegged to hot once battery is connected
Cold start injector runs constantly once start is attempted
Cranks strong, but does not catch, won't start.

What I did to get to this point:
The engine was leaking a lot of oil from many places, so I decided to just pull it out and replace all of the leaking seals. (oil pan, cam covers 1,2,3, rear main seal, distributor seal, valve seals, etc...) I also replaced the head gasket, and had the head machined and compression tested while it was off. Head gasket re-installed with ARP head bolts torqued to 93. Replaced the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap. I used Cygnusx1.net and the TSRM for all of the repairs.

Timing checks, I'm getting spark and fuel. All of my fuses and fusible links appear to be intact.
Everything worked before I took it apart, so I know I must have done something wrong, I've searched the forum and haven't found these symptoms.

I'm in pilot training for the military right now and am just about to the point of towing it to a shop and having them look at it. I'd rather get some help and learn from my mistakes (whatever they may have been).

Thanks in advance for any help and insight. I'm sure that I'm just missing something obvious.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
kwutzo;2042893 said:
Coolant gauge pegged to hot once battery is connected

There is a yellow wire with a green tracer (sender wire for gauge) that is grounded. You have to find the ground. It connects to the sensor with the other ECT sensors on the thermostat housing.

Cold start injector runs constantly once start is attempted

The cold start injector is grounded through a time switch which is a simple bi-metallic switch like a circuit breaker. It is on the thermostat housing. This is now two things you have grounded on the thermostat housing.

Cranks strong, but does not catch, won't start.

Take care of those first then come back.

Last edited: