Car won't start after Timing Belt Replacement

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
Okay my car won't start, I just finished putting everything back together and went to go start her up, it cranks up, then i hear a few fart pops coming back from the muffler and she dies. I just don't get it, I had the crank set at "0" and the cam gear matchmarks at the correct spots pointing up, then I put the timing belt on so I'm 95% sure I installed it correctly. I'll double check on that tomorrow since it got too cold out now. Any body have any other ideas on what it could be?

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
Apostle;1182798 said:
Okay my car won't start, I just finished putting everything back together and went to go start her up, it cranks up, then i hear a few fart pops coming back from the muffler and she dies. I just don't get it, I had the crank set at "0" and the cam gear matchmarks at the correct spots pointing up, then I put the timing belt on so I'm 95% sure I installed it correctly. I'll double check on that tomorrow since it got too cold out now. Any body have any other ideas on what it could be?

you set the car to tdc with all marks lined up then remove the belt and put the new one on, all marks should be lined up. If you removed the belt then turned the cams your cps is now out of phase. You will have to remove the top cover only, rotate the crank untill all marks are lined up then remove the cps and reinstall per tsrm. After car starts and warms up reset the timing

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
I do remember taking the cam positioning sensor out to take out the Water housing. Did that have anything to do with messing up the cam timing?

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Yes, it very possibly could have been put back in wrong. I would reset the timing marks and set the cps per tsrm like quake said. After completing this I bet it fires right up.

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
I got it running now, thanks guys, the cam sensor wasn't aligned properly with the matchmarks. The only thing is that I got a check engine light but i think its from before since I never disconnected the battery =/