car wont start after new grounding

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
so i had a grounding problem and decided to buy a apexi super grounding system. hooked everything up according to directions and the car wouldnt start. ive been searching everywhere and cant find anything.
i connected the grounds to the side of the head, the alternator ground, and the head itself. and finally gave it power through the positive and negative terminals on the battery.
when i put the key into the accessory position, my maftpro starts right up, but the dash lights wont go on. no check engine light or anything. ive checked over everything and cant find what the problem is.

i disconnected the whole unit to see if that is the issue but the car still wont start.
please someone give me some advice.
thank
-pete

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
:nono: Umm... why would a grounding kit need a positive hook up?? I'm confused on this. I've always made up my own kits (mainly out of heavy gauge speaker wire) and hooked the big wire to the ground side of the batter that went to the block and mounted the smaller wires where ever I could.

Check your ECU for power??

Check fuses?

Interior lights?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
do u get any power? interior lights, etc? checked ALL your fuses? did u try putting it how it was before u tried installing the kit?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
my interior lights never working in the first place. all the fuses in the box under the hood were checked and changed anyway. i uninstalled it to see if the unit itself was the problem but still no change. check engine light wont illuminate and cant check codes

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
any lights work? is your car getting power? did u check the bigger ALT or charge fuse under the hood?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
headlights work... but windows and power locks dont work. how do you know if those big fuses are good? also how do you take them out?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
sneakypete said:
headlights work... but windows and power locks dont work. how do you know if those big fuses are good? also how do you take them out?
Some of the big fuses are circuit breakers and can be reset. Check the TSRM to find which ones control your problem area and check them.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
AJ'S 88NA said:
Some of the big fuses are circuit breakers and can be reset. Check the TSRM to find which ones control your problem area and check them.

one of the big ones... i think is the alt is broken, meaning the little metal strip in the plastic window is broken. dont know how to take it out... ill check it out
thanks

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
If memory serves, those just pull out... be careful it's 20years old, could be brittle. If the alt fuse is broken, then it should still crank and have a 'No Charge' think going on.

Does the motor spin?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
sneakypete said:
one of the big ones... i think is the alt is broken, meaning the little metal strip in the plastic window is broken. dont know how to take it out... ill check it out
thanks

yep thats wats causeing it...wat u want to do is put the fuse up and there will be 2 bolts on each side, i believe they are 10mm...take it out replace it and you should be good. Let us know how that goes.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
alt fuse blown = no crank...

You said you went to the alternator ground... that's a positive, not a ground.

If you short the battery by way of the alt wires, the fuse blows...

To replace that fuse, pull the little box out around it (it's around the 3 large fuses) and then unbolt it, replace it and have fun...

But fix that alt ground point...

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Poodles said:
alt fuse blown = no crank...

You said you went to the alternator ground... that's a positive, not a ground.

If you short the battery by way of the alt wires, the fuse blows...

To replace that fuse, pull the little box out around it (it's around the 3 large fuses) and then unbolt it, replace it and have fun...

But fix that alt ground point...

wow... thanks man. i wasnt even thinking about that wire since i removed the new ground wires and it still didnt work. but i guess that blew the fuse and all my other troubleshooting was pointless. im gonna call it quits for tonight since i just blew my last 100a fuse.
ill pick up a new one tomorrow and give it a shot. where should i attach that ground? i have one on the passenger side that goes to the firewall and one going straight to the block where i ground the coilpack.
also the illuminated logo on the grounding box stay lit up even tho the car isnt on. you think this might be a problem?
thanks for your help
-pete

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
if it's a simple LED, it should drain too much power. Personally, I'd disconnect it (don't need flashy stuff)

You can attach it to the body of the alternator somehow, or very easily to the bracket it's on...

That stud is positive though...