Car will not go into gear. Need some advice.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Gears can shift in ways they're not supposed to, locking the transmission.

The change on the slave cylinder is a 91/92 thing, one of the perks of owning a rare year :p

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The R-154 is known for getting locked in gear, after sitting on the bellhousing. Then you have to split the case and get it into neutral. I have never heard of this on other trannys.

OP you can find ASIN brand online. It is exactly the same part you would get from toyota, but cheaper, in a different box, and sometimes has toyota ground off the casting (i see this a lot on water pumps). I believe driftmotion has the asin brand, but there are many places to get them.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I stored my gearbox for my first Supra for over a year on its bellhousing and it was fine.

The gears would drop forward and put weight on the c-clips and maybe bend them which causes the gears to move. That is my assumption but I am not sure.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Torqueflight is an auto, won't happen on an auto :p

All manuals are prone to it. Just storing it that way usually doesn't do it unless it's worn, but if it gets an impact, stuff will move. Has to do with the detents.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Ok, clutch master cylinder is in. Freeplay is adjusted and all taken out. I was able to move my original clutch line over to the other side without issue. I cannot properly bleed it right now, so I'll have to wait until I get help. I hope this does it.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Ok, here's an update. I pulled the tranny down today. Sucks doing this by yourself by the way. It turns out that the clutch disc IS in backwards. I'm so embarrassed because I've preached over and over to people to not install the clutch disc in backwards and I did. In all my 17 years of turning wrenches, and changing clutch sets for myself and other people I somehow overlooked this one. Oh well.

Funny thing was I swore I didn't do it, and I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders because I was in denial. I actually conviced myself that the disc was in correctly, but it wasn't. The only thing to do now is put back together correctly and see if it cures the problem. Wish me luck.

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
Make sure you install the throw-out bearing properly. I've seen the bearing installed upside down and when you install the snap rings around the collar for the clutch fork it sits differently thus does not let the clutch fully release. Causing the same issue you have now. Been there, done that. Also have installed the clutch disc backwards too, dont feel bad everyone has done it! :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
At least you *remembered* the clutch disc. I have on at least two occasions, had to remove something big - like the engine - so I could put in a part that I found on the bench after the job was done.

This, by the way, makes for one of the nastiest practical jokes EVER. When your buddy is doing a major job - like an engine rebuild - buy a new bit - like an oil pump - sneak it into his shop after he's already bolted the engine back in, and casually leave it lying on his bench. Don't forget to film it. :)

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
GrimJack;1718946 said:
At least you *remembered* the clutch disc. I have on at least two occasions, had to remove something big - like the engine - so I could put in a part that I found on the bench after the job was done.

This, by the way, makes for one of the nastiest practical jokes EVER. When your buddy is doing a major job - like an engine rebuild - buy a new bit - like an oil pump - sneak it into his shop after he's already bolted the engine back in, and casually leave it lying on his bench. Don't forget to film it. :)

FOUL!!!

-crisp

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
GrimJack;1718946 said:

That would be terrible! Yet very funny! The worst practical joke I've done is drip some coolant on the gound under the engine bay in random places. Did it several times over 2 or 3 weeks. He would take things apart and check gaskets, clamps, etc constantly trying to find the leak. Finally I fessed up to it when he was so frustrated he was ready to sell the car. Not looking forward to the payback...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
That's bad. He would get some serious payback. Something like draining your gas tank to make you think you get crappy gas mileage and using the gas in his Supra.

Maybe even do the oil pump one but let you pull the motor and disassemble. That would be bad.